Am I over reacting?

I try and promote gentle discipline with my DD but I will admit that I have spanked her on ocassion. It's always her butt and always my hand and I know it doesn't physically hurt her because I hit her harder when we are horse playing. My neighbors however are very loud and physical with their kids. I'm not sure if I want my DD around them and their foul language but I don't know if I'm over reacting.

1. Austin was trying to hug my DD and DD wanted to run away from him. Well like any other 18 month old he didn't want to let go of her. His mother came over there and I kid you not started screaming and repeatedly hitting him that he was not to grow up to be a rapist!

2. I don't know what lead up to this but Austin smacked DD upside her head and pushed her. His mother once again flew into a rage spanking him and screaming that he was going to turn into a wife beater.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• 3. He wandered off outside and she was screaming at him to come back. He laughed and ran farther. So she took her flip flop off and started hitting him.

4. He was trying to pick something up and got frustrated and his mother told him to stop being a pussy!

5. There is a preemie with an adjusted age of 1 month on oxygen. They let this baby CIO repeatedly. If you want to CIO with your healthy 6 month old that's your business. But this baby is on oxygen! She already can't breathe properly and they make her CIO!!! I just can't help think that she could better use this energy to grow and since she's having trouble with her breathing that it's depriving her brain of much needed oxygen.

6. They just generally have foul language.
    Anonymous

• sounds like they over dicapline their children, and are all around bad parents. I wouldnt feel comfortable with my kids being near them without me
    Anonymous

• op here - I never leave DD there with them.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you're over reacting. Keep your DD away from them. As for the language, I use adult language around adults not my son. I have never referred to my son as a pussy, wife beater, rapist, etc nor would I ever. They aren't terms that are relatable to my son. It's simply not allowed. Make your opinions known to them so if their son comes over to play with your DD then you're already laid out ground rules.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• No you're not over reacting I would be on the phone to CPS in a heart beat if I was there. And for her to be physically and mentally abusive to him right in front of you then I would wonder how she acts behind closed doors.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Wow, that sounds like an intense and heartbreaking situation to see those children in. I would not allow my child to go over to their home to play at all, and I would probably avoid being around those parents as well. However, I would in the future try to let the children come to my house to play if their behavior was not too terrible so I could get them out of that environment even for an hour or so. It sounds like they will need time away from being treated that way.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 2:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would also keep an eye on it and if needed I would call authorities, no child should have to endure the type of abuse you are describing. I bet other neighbors have witnessed this too and maybe they would be willing to call as well. I know that it is difficult to step in sometimes, but the children don't have a way to make it stop on their own and it sounds as though it may get worse.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 2:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Someone, I don't know who, called CPS on the family because on Saturday nigh the mother was drinking while the aunt watched the kids. CPS said there was no reason for them to further investigate and left.
    Anonymous

• oh...that breaks my heart for these kids - WHY WHY WHY Do people have kids if they are going to beat and attack them like this - so so sad.. god.. thats so hard to even read.!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Thank you everyone for not making me seem overly protective. My family always tells me I just think I am a better parent. I've had my bad days but I repeatedly see things like this when we are all outside together.
    Anonymous