cervix not dialating

ok so i had a doctors appointment today and he said the babys head is so low in the pelvis that we cant see her head but my cervix isnt dialating...i know ive got a few weeks to wait but does anyone know any tricks to help move things along? or has this happened to anyone? ps; im only 37 wks

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow, you must be so uncomfortable. If your cervix doesn't dilate then you'll be listed as failure to progress which may result in a c-section. That's what happened to me.

The best thing I can tell you to do is walk and drink water every chance you get. Walking will move the baby further down the canal as if she isn't already, I know. You could ask the doctor to strip your membranes and see if that helps your labor along. Are you having any contractions?
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If you are only 37 weeks, try try TRY to wait it out! Unless a complication arises, the best thing for you to do is to wait. I know, I know, that doesn't make it EASY - I went a week overdue and each day feels like an eternity! But just because you aren't dilating yet (which many women don't at 37 weeks) doesn't mean you couldn't have this baby in a week or two. I know women that have gone from 0 centimeters to 5 in just a few hours. I know how hard it is to have that baby's head bearing down and having to wait - but unless there is real danger to the baby you should wait it out! Walking lots is good advice! GL!
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• im not having any contractions, im only 37 wks and not dialating my doctor doesnt want to induce me
    dilemma1

Answer by dilemma1 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Momma, walk. It's frustrating though. I know it is and it sucks. But at 37 weeks, if you did have the baby now her lungs may not be where she could sustain breathing on her own. Wait it out another week and see. Ask next week, if you have an appointment then, if the doctor could strip your membranes and help things along.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• There is no reason why it should be dilated prior to labor at all. You are only 37 weeks, whats the rush? I know that the last weeks of pregnancy are not comfortable but if the baby was ready he/she would have been born already.
    You can go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours but you can also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many weeks..it is not an indication of when labor will start at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• When I was pregnant for my son, I didn't dilate at all. I was really worried I would have to get a c-section because everytime I went to the doctor I had not dilated. I went back to the doctor on my due date and still nothing, we talked about inducing labor. Two days later, I ended up in the hospital that my water broke. When I got to the hospital I was finally dilated a cm. So I went 3 days after my due date that something finally happened! Pregnancy is unpredictable, labor can happen at any time! Good luck!
    mommyamber2009

Answer by mommyamber2009 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009