Are there any classes or programs you wish public schools would add or improve?

I think they need to have a nutrition class, a budgeting class, and a religion class.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes I would love to see a class about managing money and make all the girl take home them crying baby dolls might make them think twice

Anonymous

• yes, i want to see more classes for learning  foreign languages...and I mean like chinese, korean....along those lines....I think there should be a class that teaches bullies to think twice about bullying...maybe let them stay in jail for a day...harsh...maybe...but, it will give them a taste of what prison will be like and that bullying will not be tolerated...Career day would be great idea...

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• At the high school I went to, in a Po-Dunk little town in Keller Texas, we had required nutrition classes and offered culinary classes. we also had an accounting/business type class that wasnt required but it taught you how to balance a check book and house/utility bills. I guess its all on where you go! I would get a group of moms together who feel the same and speak with the school board about why you feel they need these classes in schools!

P.S Anon 255, we had a class like that called prep for parenting, and the girls and guys took home those crying animatronic dolls. My sister is in that high school right now and there are about 30 girls between the ages of 14 and 17 who were pregnant, AND IN THAT CLASS! I dont think that they learned anything.

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• They need to pay more attention to the arts! It's all football and athletics at the school I went to. If you weren't a jock or a cheerleader you were pretty much left out in the cold.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• OH yeah and a financial class should be absolutely mandatory for every single student.

Can you believe that I didn't know how insurance or taxes worked when I got out of high school? I didn't know how credit worked either. Three years later I'm STILL figuring some stuff out! Ridiculous, I tell you.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• some really good answers here.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 4:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Having moved a few times for the military I have noticed different curriculums offered at various different school systems. It all depends on their budget as to what they can and cannot offer. Interest has a lot to do with the decision made, too.
    All the courses mentioned above are offered at the school system we are at now, but they are optional, not mandatory. Unfortunately, there have been budget cuts this year so some of the courses have been taken away. My daughter entering her Senior year had to choose another course in place of the Marine Biology course they took away. Japanese was taken away from the foreign languages. I'm sure there are lots of other cuts, too.
    Even the school clinic got a budget cut - no bandaids or other basics. I'm looking into finding a way to get a donation of clinic supplies in bulk for them.
    Terribly sad.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009