Do you feel that moms who are unable to stay home with their children are looked down upon?

I work part time and sometimes I feel that people think I am not the best mother possible because I cannot afford to stay home and I am the one who has the health benefits for my family though my job. I would love to stay home, but unfortunately this is not an option for me and more than likely never will be. I just feel that people look down and me and judge me...I love my children and I do my very best to provide for them and make sure they have everything they need.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm in the same boat! I applaud you for keeping health insurance on your family and not depending on the Govt. YAY private insurance. I know is wish I could stay home with my kids but just like you it will never be an option well I guess if we won the lottery ; )
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yeah. I don't look down upon working moms because I know they know they're doing the right thing for them and their child. But to others they see it as being selfish and uncaring for your kids. I say, more power to the working moms out there! I don't know how you do it but I really am impressed by you! I could learn a thing or two.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• no one can win moms get told stay home that's best and they get told to work ether your lazy and don't work or don't want to spend time with your child its all BS a mom does what she has to do and as long as the child is happy and taken care of that's all that maters

Anonymous

• I think it makes you a good mother trying to provide for your child when you know you wouldnt be able to make it staying at home.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Funny, I feel like I'm looked down upon because I don't work. I feel that people think I'm uneducated, or stupid, or lazy, or whatever other negative adjectives you can think of. I can't work because we can't afford daycare. I probably won't work again until our daughter is in school in about five years. It really sucks.

I think the grass is always greener on the other side. We do what we have to do because we have to do it, yanno? Just know that being a SAHM isn't all sunshine and roses and giggles and milestones. I don't know what it's like to be a working mom, but I can imagine that it's very difficult.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I don't concern myself with what other mothers think. If their husband's make enough money that affords the wife to stay home and do housework and take care of the kids then more power to her. But in my reality, that doesn't happen. I'm up before anyone else and out the door. I have a job to do. I'm home in the evenings everyday and I'm just as much an active mother in my kids lives as anyone else. I'm due with another baby by the end of the year and I'll be on maternity leave till I need to get back to work. I'd love to stay home but more is required of me than most.

Do not think any less of yourself as a mother because you're working outside the home like many of the rest of us. Don't second guess yourself.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think some moms might.....but i have no clue why. My mom was and still is a working mom(full time and for awhile when i was younger, two jobs) and I thought she was a great mother.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I don't look down upon moms that work. If you have to work then you have to. This life isn't easy. No matter what a person does. No one has it easy.

I think it's great that you can work or stay at home. You do what you have to for your kid(s). It will be ok....you are doing a great job.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

I completely AGREE!!! Funny, I was only working part time and I felt like i got looked down upon because I wasn't working full time. I got a full time job now and it has helped sooo much financially. If I had it my way I would work part time but it helps that I only have one child and he is in school now. Every mom does what's best for her family. If you can stay at home that is GREAT but if you enjoy working or HAVE to then that's GREAT to!! Mama's do what they gotta do and I fault no one for their choice
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• It the QUALITY of time spent with your kids, not the QUANTITY. My mom worked when I was a child, and I have nothing but good memories of us having fun together on her days off, and when she got home from work.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009