Weed and teenagers?

OOPs I accidently deleted my Q...I am newish. My 14 soon to 15 year old son has come to me to say he has been smoking weed and he does not want to lis about it, he says he really likes it and it helps him feel less stressed. I am proud he has come to be but now what???

rosetoes

Asked by rosetoes at 5:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• POT DOES NOT HURT A CHILD.BUT WATCH IT BECAUSE SOMETIMES THEY TRY TO GET A HARDER BUZZ, SO THEY ARE GOING TO TRY HARDER DRUGS. AT LEAST YOU HAVE A GOOD BOND FOR HIM TO COME TO YOU. POT DOES RELAXES THE BODY BUT THERE ARE OTHER WAYS FOR A CHILD TO RELAX. JUST TALK TO HIM AND HELP HIM.
    HE WILL COME AROUND, IT MIGHT JUST BE A PHASE.
    HE IS YOUNG MINDED!
    Anonymous

• Why DID he come to you? What you donow is try to gently but firmly discourage him from continuing in any way that you can. Talk to him about why he feels so stressed in the first place and help him to come up with alternate, healthy, LEGAL ways to ease his mind and destress. Try not to offer judgement of him, but definitely be clear about why what he is choosing is not in his best interest. Good Luck to you.
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 5:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• That's wonderful that he came to you to talk about it. I would have a conversation with him about why he is so stressed and feels this is the best way to deal with it, then help him with finding alternative solutions. Make sure he is aware of the dangers of drugs (likelyhood to use other drugs, legal problems, drug testing for jobs) and help him to find other ways of relieving his stress. Be sure to let him know that although you are not happy with his choice to use a drug, that you are very proud that he can talk to you about it and be honest with you.
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Isn't it wonderful that he came to you with the truth?? Now to find out how to get him relaxed and less stressed without the use of weed. I wish you luck.
    Anonymous

• That is wonderful that he came to you. I feel that you should give him more attention, but don't get in his space. He's still a "baby" so to speak. If you didn't notice that he was smoking then you need to focus on him a little more, but do not treat him like a baby because you do not want to lose that trust that he already has with you. Good Luck.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 11:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• well atleast he has come to you and told. when I was a teen I NEVER told my mom. maybe he felt guilty that he was sneaking around so he told you. But He doesnt want to stop. Id encourage him to stop and tell him you Care about His future. He cant get a job if he smokes pot, it will Make his grades go down and that sort of thing. Make sure he knows that you want more for him. All I wanted when I was a teen was someone to care and make Rules for me.... that truly what every teen and kid wants
    pebbles86

Answer by pebbles86 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I think is great he has come to you. Now i think your job is to help him stop using this drug and find better ways to feel relax. I think all types of drugs are bad and to depend on any kind of drug even if its a Tylenol its bad, that said i dont think weed is good for anyone. Lots of people tend to use it to feel relax but i think there are better ways for that. Try to encourage him and offer something as a reward for him been honest with you. I hope you find a solution for this and stop your son for using drugs. Its sad that more kids are starting to try drugs in the first place some kids stay only on weed but others start taking other drugs like crack etc etc.. and then develop some serious addictions, i still hope that kids learn to say no to drugs no matter what.
    yashira07

Answer by yashira07 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Wow....I must be either the strictest mother in the world or the most naive but if my 14 year old came and told me he was smoking weed I would Bust His Nut! None of this..."Oh I'm so happy that you came to me crappola!" My three kids know that if they want to be welcome in my home they have to obey the law of the land and the law of the MOM! And weed breaks both.....
    JoBenny

Answer by JoBenny at 8:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• PLUS FOR COMING TO YOU, BUT MINUS FOR USING DRUGS. He needs a program....
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2008