How many jobs will be lost if...?

Obama's health care plan passes?

The reason why I ask, is because it is pretty obvious that health insurance companies will go out of business, because employers will drop them (see the other questions for more info)....... so how many jobs will be lost through the health insurance companies b/c of Obama's plan? You know, like health insurance reps, people who do claims for health insurance companies, blah blah blah...............

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Figure some of them will get hired into the national service - at a huge pay cut, of course, but they're going to need thousands of people to staff the bloated bureaucracy they're making.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Were is the proof to your statement?You asking very hypothetical question.

Anonymous

• Jobs will be lost. Some will go and work for the new government bureaucracy that will be created with better insurance than those on the gov plan.lol Insurance companies will no longer be allowed to add new people to plans since it would be illegal. Anyone born after health care non reform is passed will automatically have to be on the government plan with no choice for parents. The more I read of the bill and I have only made it half way through the more angry I get at our Congress mainly my own party Democrats.

Anonymous

• Just one more reason not to pass Obamacare.
    Anonymous

• what is his new insurance plan?
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Idk, but my husband is a business owner and he said that if he is forced to provide health insurance he'll have to close his doors and work from a office at home. Then of course I will probably have to quit my job to help him since he can't do everything his assistant does plus his own stuff. His assistant doesn't need the coverage right now anyway, but still. I know it's all hypothetical, but we've talked about it. I just don't know enough about this bill to know how it would effect us. I need to try to read it.

Although, more providers may have to hire more people to deal with all the red tape of filing gov't insurance. It may all balance out in the end...

Anonymous

• I found this info:

In 2004, U.S. health insurers directly employed almost 470,000 people at an average salary of $61,409. Employment related to all forms of insurance totaled 2.3 million people. Mean annual earnings for full-time civilian workers as of June 2006 were $41,231; median earnings were $33,634.

Sounds about right! Not sure how many people would be employed with Obamacare...perhaps that's where the 3-4 million new jobs will be created! (rolls eyes)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• That really is the sucky part - government jobs always pay less than the civilian equivalent (normally they make up for that with the benefits, ha ha). Insurance companies pay less than other industries. A secretary or tech person at an insurance company pretty much always makes less than the secretary or tech person doing the same work for a different type of company. An already underpaid industry will get a pay cut. That oughta stimulate the economy reel gud.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Don't forget businesses will have to lay off people in order to pay for the nat'l healthcare............
    Anonymous

• Yeah Lori..during Obama's spewing of jobs creation it was evident to me the only job creation he can possibly be speaking about is government jobs.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009