MY KIDS CANT TALK!!!

My 3 and 2 year old are having some trouble talking. My 3 yr old can speak sentences but he sometimes stutters or he slurrs his words, and sometimes he talks as if his mouth is moving too fast for him. My 2 yr old can say a few words but he hasnt said a sentence yet. Any advice? I really dont want to pay a high price to have my kids speaking, i would rather do it myself, I just dont know how. HELP!!

d3vilbunny

Asked by d3vilbunny at 3:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do you sing to them? Find a song they can sing that will slow down their pattern of speach like the ABC's, twinkle twinkle little star, etc. That may help and do it every night before bed.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Read to them! Or get the leap frog learning books for them and have them practice every day. Make it fun and take them with you to pick some out! And get down on the floor with them and say it with them.  I know this is bribeing, but tell them if they can tell you what they want that day then you will take them to the park or for ice cream! They will at least try.

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Doesn't sound odd to me. 3 yr. olds often have trouble slowing their brain down enough to actually speak. 2 yr. olds sometimes speak early, other times later. All children are different. But, none the less, you need to set a good example. So, when 3 yr. old gets tongue tied, just slow him down, "honey, I want to understand you, so how about you close your eyes, take a deep breath, now think about what you want to say. Do you have it? Now try again". See if that helps, I know with ds I had to do this CONSTANTLY, just to comprehend what he was trying to say. Your 2 year old needs to be encouraged to speak, so if he points and say, "water", then say, "can I have some water please" give him the words. Don't expect him to repeat it right then, but keep offering the right words, he will get it eventually.

Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Lady your kids need speech therapy. You didn't say you couldn't afford to get them help, you said you didn't want to. I guess a little money saved is more important than your kid's future? A little speech therapy now may make all the difference in the future--the rest of their lives.
    Anonymous

• they have these leap frog videos that they can learn abc's numbers etc. and they helped my son a lot you should look into them and he loves them

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Your children DON'T need speech therapy. They need you to take a deep breath, calm down and know that they won't be adults who can't talk. Read to them alot. When your 3 year old gets to talking faster than you can understand, calm him down and slow him down. He will get it. If he sees you are fine with it, it will remove his stress and the stuttering may stop all together. My stutterer is now 18 years old and fine!
    jilly558

Answer by jilly558 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Your children have either speech impediments or a speech delay. SPEECH THERAPY is what is needed. In MOST states, your pediatrician can give you a referral for your state's FREE Early Intervention home-based therapy program. It's available for children 0-3 years. After that MANY states have an Early Intervention preschool program that is also FREE, including FREE door-to-door transportation for children ages 3-5. Then a transition team will coordinate with your the transition to FREE public education and support programs should your child(ren) still need help!

Neither of my children wee talking by age 2. I took advantage of the FREE in-home therapy, the FREE preschool programs. and by the age of 4 were speaking beautifully. My younger son graduates from the preschool program in August, and he will be spending 80% of his school day in a regular education classroom....both of my sons have mild autism.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would talk to your childrens doctor and see if he can refer you to a developmental pediatrician or someone familiar with speech therapy. If there is a birth to 3 program in your area they can evaluate your 2yr old and to therapy-- if it is needed. Other contact ideas: Head Start, your local school district, or contact your local social services and ask if they have any ideas.
    Early intervention is key.
    My 2nd son had a speech disorder and from age 18mo to 3yr he had speech therapy with birth to 3, then he was transitioned into our local school district from age 3-5. He is now 10 and you would never know he had a speech problem.
    My 3rd son was not talking at 2 1/2yr- we had him evaluated thru the school district and he is now recieving therapy services thru our local school district.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• It sounds to me like your kids are right where they should be, but if you're that concerned talk to the pediatrician. My son is 3.5, considered ahead for his age in language, and often stutters when he's upset. If he's hurt his foot for instance he'll come to me saying " I I I hurt, I I I ..." and it will keep going until I intervene and say sweetie calm down, take a breath, and try again... sometimes he'll start stuttering again so I just say it for him to save the embarrassment, sometimes the breath helps, but when he's overly excited or hurt he stutters, and thats normal for all children up to about ages 5-6. Your 2 year old sounds right on track as well, so I'm not seeing the need for panic. Keep reading to them, singing rhyming songs, and if your still seriously concerned talk to the kids pediatrician and then actually follow their advice. More then likely the dr. will tell you your kids are right on track.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Call your school district's special education department and voice your concerns. They can either direct you where to call, or set up evaluations for your kids.

How high of a price are you willing to pay for your children not speaking correctly? They need help, just from what you've described they are behind. I can't imagine putting a price on the development of my kids.
    Anonymous