Would you support your best friend if they were in college with a dead-end major?

My best friend is majoring in theater. All she wants to do is act. She wants to be in movies and she's convinced she'll be an actress. She doesn't want to be on the stage, only in film. She's already planning to move to LA when she graduates.

I'm scared to tell her how hard it's going to be to break into the business. She's not the prettiest actress out there, and to be honest she's not that great at acting either. I just don't want her to get hurt or get stuck out there waiting tables for the next 40 years waiting for her big break!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• And also, she doesn't have a backup plan! This is all she wants to do. She's not thinking about what she'll do if it doesn't work out!
    Anonymous

• Let her have her dream. Theres no proof she won't. I mean look at Nicholas Cage that guy cant act and he still gets roles.
    Anonymous

• Let her live her dreams whether they are realistic or unrealistic.....she will figure all that out for herself.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would not support her financially - emotionally maybe. But she is making a decision, and is going to have to live with the consequences. I understand you don't want to see her fail, but sometimes it takes people falling on their faces to face reality.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 3:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• A really close friend of mine is hell-bent on being a musician. She has already received several college degrees and continues to enroll in school and take on large amounts of debt. To my knowledge, she has never had a paid professional gig and has no real plan on how to survive, but I don't really ask her too much about it. It's her life and if it makes her happy so be it. Will I support her or bail her out in a few years when she's up to her eyeballs in debt and can't get a job? Hell no. I've been working for way too long to support anyone who chose such a carefree lifestyle.
    Anonymous

• What a "good" friend you are...notice the sarcasm!

I am one of those with a degree in art, MANY people told me it is a dead end career. But every time I empty a kiln I have $3000 worth of merchandise, ready to sell.
    If you are really her friend you will be supportive of her dreams and keep your big FAT mouth shut!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i love nicholas cage
    MOM22QTS

Answer by MOM22QTS at 3:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think it's great that she has a dream. You don't know for a fact that she isn't going to make it. I understand your concern but you need to be there to support her through whatever happens.

You don't have to be pretty (Meryl Streep, Nicholas Cage, Gwyneth Paltrow) or a very good actor (Nicholas Cage, Katie Holmes) for the that matter to make in Hollywood. Sometimes all it takes is the drive and determination. It sounds like she has the in spades.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes, Id support my friend.

You just never know what might happen down the road. Maybe she'll find success somehow in that field.

Its my job, as her friend, to support her even if I have my doubts.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Theatre major here! If she's hell bent on moving out to LA and being and actress let her. She'll have to get a job to support herself while she's auditioning and if she has enough drive to wait 40 years then that's her choice. If she isn't that talented or pretty casting agents will tell her that A) she needs to take classes and/or get plastic surgery or B) she should give it up. It will take rejection from the professionals to get her to change her mind. Hey maybe your wrong and there's a role out there that's perfect for her. You never know.The only thing you can do is support her and make sure she finishes getting her degree. Don't let her drop out of college to pursue acting because no matter what happens her does have something to fall back on...her education.

Lindsay4JD

Answer by Lindsay4JD at 4:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009