Is the RhoGam shot safe?

After doing some research, I have found out that over 60% of children who have autism come from mothers who had a RhoGam shot bc of the high levels of mercury. I have seen a few shots that do not contain mercury. My doc uses RhoPhylac and swears it is mercury-free, however, nowhere on that site does it say it is mercury free. What is the worse thing that could happen if I refuse the shot until after my delivery or if there is severe trauma to my abdomen?

tinalloyd

Asked by tinalloyd at 3:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your child could become severely (and I mean severely) ill if you don't get the rhogam shot. The only way to know your child's blood type is if you and the father have the same blood type. If he has a different type than you, there's no telling as to what the baby's type is. That's why I had to get the shot. I'm A-, and my fiance didn't know what he was. Turns out our daughter is A+. Who knows what could have happened if I had refused the shot. I wouldn't take the chance.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If your blood and the baby's blood comes into contact your blood will produce antibodies that will attack the baby's blood. It can be fatal for the baby. I had the Rhogam shot will all three of my pregnancies and after my second miscarriage. My sons are 11, 6 and 3 and perfectly healthy. My oldest sister, my mom's second baby, had to be rushed by ambulance to a larger hospital, have a blood transfusion and spend time in the nicu because of an rh reaction. Anyway, worst case scenario, which you've asked for is that without the shot to keep you from producing antibodies your baby could die. Is it a huge risk, not a really high risk, but the risk is there.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I see that my blood can cross the babies placenta but it is to be by major trauma (according to various websites) but I can see how this could happen without any trauma.

I guess before I get the shot I will make sure the doctor lets me have the leaflet that comes in the packaging and makes sure that is 100% mercury free...it is just so ironic that we are so healthy during pregnancy, especially when it comes to various fish- avoiding those with high mercury content- and then they want to shoot up rh negative women with mercury laden blood!!! Makes no sense!!!
    tinalloyd

Answer by tinalloyd at 4:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I had the rhogam sho with both of my babies and they are both healthy as a horse.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I refused the RhoGam shot with my pregnancies. Make an informed decision based on the scientific data and not out of fear. You can always wait until after the birth to get the shot, so that way future pregnancies are protected without the risk to your current baby, who only through trauma (which you would be admitted in the hospital anyway, most likely, and you have a 24-hr window where a RhoGam shot can be administered in that case) or during the birth, which once the baby is out, he's out and no longer in danger of your antibodies! Don't let anyone tell you that you are putting your baby in immediate danger by waiting to get a RhoGam shot. It's a decision that affects you and your baby and therefore is best decided by you and your SO.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'm 25 weeks pregnant with my first baby and recently found out that I am RH- also. Just like you, I am very concerned about the Rhogam shot, specifically due to the mercury which it's preserved with. I heard from a friend who interns at a hospital that they have discontinued the use of mercury as a preservation derivative. She said they are now using Thermoseal... or something like that. I don't know how true this is since I haven't had the chance to question my doctor about it yet.
    I also am having trouble deciding if I should get the rhogam shot or not, or even if I should wait until after the baby is born before getting it. I've read quite a few scary things about rhogam, but I've also heard of some pretty nasty side effects involved if you neglect the shot.
    agid87

Answer by agid87 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009