trying to find a clutch to go with my ball gown

So I have a royal purple ball gown and I need to find a clutch to match it, and I thought emerald green would be a good color, and found a couple cute ones. But acording to the color wheel, yellow is purples complimentary color, but ya I dont think so. So what color clutch do you think would look good with a royal purple gown?

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 3:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• silver & purple combination of 2 colours would really look cute..........
    bali_mussu

Answer by bali_mussu at 5:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Silver
    Anonymous

• I would go with a metallic to match your jewelry. Any other color other than a matching purple would be offensive, if this is formal attire. If its a ballgown for a period party or mardi gras, go with Goldenrod yellow or that Emerald green.
    Gothiclovesick

Answer by Gothiclovesick at 3:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• silver or black
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'd go with the emerald green, but that's just me. . .Purple and green look FABULOUS together, IMO!
    Anonymous

• Red is also a complementary color to purple, but I think yellow would look great if you get the right shade of yellow. Very chic.

What color are your shoes?
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Metalic or any color that pops when held against the ball gown. I have a black and while polka dot dress that I love carrying a bright red clutch with. If I had a jewel toned blue gown, I could use any other jewel-toned color clutch against it, so long as the clutch doesn't fade into the gown.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Red is not the complementary color for purple. There is only one per color. When you stare at a color for a while and then look at a white space, the color that comes up in front or your eyes, or the 'after image' is the complementary color. The other way to know a color's complement is to look at its composition. The primary colors are red, yellow and blue. You can't make those colors by mixing others. Purple is blue and red, so yellow is the 'left out' color. It completes or "complements' the three legs of the color wheel.
    I agree that for a formal look, yellow may be a bit harsh. I would go with a neutral.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 7:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Black
    Anonymous

• I would also match it to your jewelry and shoes. Esp if you are wearing silver. Otherwise I would probably go with black just so it wouldnt detract from my dress.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 9:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009