For those of you who work outside the home, when you have to call in because you have a sick child does your boss ever guilt you or seem irritated?

I call in RARELY, maybe a few times a year actually. I have 2 daughters and the only time I call in is to stay home and take care of them. When I am sick I still drag myself to work because my place of employment can be a bit ridiculous. And when I called in last month because one of my children was not feeling well my boss said "Is there anyone else that can watch them?" WTH?????? NOOOOOOO! When my child is sick they need ME or their dad, not someone else. Not to mention....who is going to want my sick kid to come infect them and their home and spread the cooties? I can't stay at home, so I do the best I can and am a very dependable and dedicated employee. I am not like some of my coworkers that call in because they have the self inflicted brown bottle flu. AND I might add I have been with the company for almost 10 years now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have worked at the same place for 11 years and have never taken a sick day for my kids. This is not because they have never been sick but because my mom has always been there. I know that my boss will complain and even suggests that he will find a babysitter to watch the other women's sick kids. I think it is rude. I know what it is like when others are missing work but I have always been their to pick it up for the day. Some mother's are not as fortunate as I am to have someone on the drop of a dime to watch my kids. I am looking for another place to work and maybe it is time you do to. Don't let them take advantage of you there are others that would love to have your work ethic.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I have been with my job for 7 years and they are pretty cool about it. I have 4 kids but still I havent called in more then 4 times in all that time.
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 4:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I work outside the home part time ( 3 days a wk, 4 hours each day) ONLY just to get outside the home and interact with people my age. When I have to call in bc my kids are sick or I have a family emerg, NO they do not say anything. They know I have two children that have been real bad sick off and on for the last 4 months and each time I need to call in, I bring in doc excuses. I work at home when I feel like it and bring in a great income so IF I was to lose this job, its no big deal as my kiddos come FIRST and always will :)

SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 4:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Well in 7 years if you have only called in 4 times those kids must have a kick ass immune system...yay for you.
    For those of us that have children who get the normal bugs that float around and they get sick a couple times a year, I know the frustration that you feel. Sometimes i think the employers get caught up in the fact that they have a business to run and being a body short may make the day difficult. You have been there when others call in and know how stressful that can be. I think that they sometimes forget that family always should and will be most important in a parents life. As long as it's not a pattern then I don't think you have much to worry about, but you need to try to talk to your boss and let them know that you value your job and know that you are needed when you are scheduled but at the same time there are things that are out of your control...if your boss is someone easy to talk to. if not, blow it off.
    Anonymous

• I work full time and i never had a boss say or infer anything negative about my kids needing me. Not only do i take of when they're sick, but I try to do field trips and class parties if I can too. I'm a social worker that works with kids so maybe my jobs always have slightly more compassionate supervisors though
    MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 4:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My mom watches my kids so if they are sick grandma takes excellent care of them so I can work. My employer has sent me home a couple times when they found out my children were sick and paid me. They are actually great I hate using days in case one of my kids get really sick. My husband died three years ago and if I don't get paid we don't eat. They don't give moms like me PA so I have no choice but to work or to quit and lose my home and then get on welfare. So I work when I can and rarely miss work unless my employer will pay me for the time off.

Anonymous

• Honey, it is time to start a stealth job search. I do career and job search coaching. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 4:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• They do question me some but just to get syptoms, etc. They will also send home anyone that comes into work sick. They don't want it spread around and other employees calling off sick.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009