I took my son in for his 4 month shots... They messed up and gave him the MMR..

I took my son in for his 4 month shots. The nurse didn't read his chart and gave him the MMR which he shouldnt get till he's 12 months. What am I supposed to do????? Anyone ever had this happen or know anything about what happens if given to early?

BrittAlva

Asked by BrittAlva at 4:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know, did you talk to the DR. about it? Report it to the CDC.
    Anonymous

• wow there are no excuses for them kind of mistakes
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Oh and I would also report this to the board.

Anonymous

• Wow! This really happened? I'd be raising hell down there! I'd speak to the doctor...call the CDC...and pray. As a parent of a child with autism, I believe in vaccines but I also believe they do too many in the first 3 yrs. of life. And to have THIS kind of screw-up is major, especially since many parents feel it was the MMR that contributed to their child's autism in the first place!
    Don't just let this go. And watch your child closely over the next few days/weeks.
    Anonymous

• Yes raise some hell. But MMR has nothing to do with Autism since parents who do not vaccinate at all have children with it.

Anonymous

• thats a HUGE mistake - the MMR could be too much for a little system to handle. What did your Doctor say - you need to report it asap either way "just in case" something could happen from this.. I am so sorry mommy...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I know this sounds bad...what about med mal lawyer. my hubby works in a law office as a para right now and he deals with vaccine cases. Yea I would report it to cdc for sure.
    Is your child ok??? this is the shot people get worried about to.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I don't know if it needs to be reported to the CDC, but the doctor should have been informed and you should have discussed it before you ever left the office. If they discovered the error later, the doctor should have called you personally to discuss if any issues where expected, etc. Chances are it's not as a big a deal as you might think. I'm not really sure why things are done in the order they are, but if you have a healthy baby, you probably won't notice much more than a fever and some crankiness anyway. Be sure to remind them of the error at all future appointments in case it affects the types of shots he can get going forward and to make sure they don't give it again too soon!!!! I think that would be my biggest fear. I've seen our nurses come back a time or two to confirm which shot, and check again as they are about to give it to be sure. I'm sorry this happened and hope all works out well for you.
    Anonymous

• Report it. Definitely....

Thinktwice.org is full of stories like this. It happens.... theres even a national database called VAERS thats full of adverse reactions children have had, etc etc...
    You might even be able to report it there...
    Happilyevafter

Answer by Happilyevafter at 4:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Get as much "proof" as you can because mistakes like this are often covered up, and talk to an attorney. I am not one to go suing people for little things but this could damage your baby and you need to know your legal options if not for you then think of the other children they are making mistakes like this (or worse) on!! Mistakes like this are not mistakes they are preventable and they need to be stopped!!! Report it to every one you can and find out about malpractice because that nurse should be loosing her job for something like this!!!
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009