I have a 30% chance that my unborned child has down syndrome. This percentage is based on the results from the MSAFP test (screening blood test). However, an ultrasound was made and the baby is physically normal. The doctor recommends an amniocentesis to confirm the baby's condition. What can I expect? Do you guys know someone that got bad results from this test, or someone that had positive results? HELP!

rositina

Asked by rositina at 4:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• amnio testing is done with a long thin needle and shouldn't hurt. good luck on your results and i hope your baby is healthy.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would not do that test just to find out if the baby may or may not have downs. It's a SMALL CHANCE BUT CAN LEAD TO A miscarriage.

Anonymous

• that percentage is so very small, i think this information is important. i would do the test and not worry about it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't do the test for one reason, the results wouldn't matter to me. I would not risk miscarriage or stress when no matter how my child is born I'll keep, and love it anyway.

If you wouldnt abort a downs baby there is no reason to get the test done.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 4:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Why do the test? What difference is it going to make from a 30% chance if the baby has downs or not? Are you going to love the baby less if it does? Are you going to care for the baby less if it does? Is the baby less human because they have downs?

Anonymous

• im not sure about that particular test but i had amino done with my last child to check lungs to see if i was able to have her early being i had complications, the test didnt take long and didnt hurt that much about the same as an iv and it was more annoyin than painful. it took less than 10 min to get fluid and with my test only 20 min for results... the only down fall is it can cause preterm labor which is what happened to me i went into labor about 8 hrs later and a friend who had one done went into labor 4 hrs after amino....ask your drs about all the risk and if close to your due date then there shouldnt be any problems and would recommend it(if close to ur due date) as it can help treat problems sooner
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 4:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• There is always a chance something is wrong with someone's baby. One of my co-workers, he and his wife were pregnant with their last child. An amnio was done and it said the baby would have Downs. They chose to keep the baby and when she was born she was just fine. There is such a high percentage of having a false positive for Amnio testing. Don't bet the farm on it or let it worry you.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would do the test just to make sure that downs is the worst-case scenario. If it were me, I would keep a downs baby.

But if it were something that would leave my child completely dependent upon me as it grew older, I would have the abortion. I have seen families with children with severe disorders and I won't put my family, or myself, through that kind of obligation to care for a very sick child.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Also, it would be helpful to know ahead of time the type of challenges your child might face so you can prepare for her arrival and the challenges you will face in raising her. I would want to know so I could do as much research on the syndrome as possible before the baby's arrival. Once the baby is here, you will want to spend precious time with her instead of doing so much research that you could have done during your nesting period.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I AGREE with this:

Why do the test? What difference is it going to make from a 30% chance if the baby has downs or not? Are you going to love the baby less if it does? Are you going to care for the baby less if it does? Is the baby less human because they have downs?
    Happilyevafter

Answer by Happilyevafter at 4:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009