Have you used fertility drugs?

For those of you who have used fertility drugs (clomid, etc) what was your experience? When did you decide to use them and what was the reason? (besides the obvious) I am having trouble conceiving my second child and have an appointment w/ my obgyn and just want to do some homework. I am almost 36 and it took me 3 years to conceive naturally w/ my first, and age and time are not on my side, so if I can get some help, I want to. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• i have PCOS so its hard for me to get pregnant i use if in March got pregnant in April
    Anonymous

• I was 35 when I started meds. Because of some bloodwork and ultrasound results, my first RE (skipped right past the OBGYN and went straight to the specialist) started me right on injectible meds. In hindsight, he used too high a dose, too soon and possibly messed up my system for awhile. Or, I could be misreading it and I just really do have diminished ovarian reserve. I don't think my body was as bad as he made it out to be. His timing and dosages were off. After a year of 2 surgeries for endometriosis, several IUIs, and three failed IVF attempts (never made it to embryo transfer because my eggs didn't fertilize...I feel strongly it was because of timing and meds), I switched to a major clinic in NYC. There, I had dosages reduced and meds changed. One false start IVF converted to IUI, then we finally got it right. My twins are now 3.5.

(cont.)
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Learn about the meds they prescribe. Ask why those meds, learn about how they will affect your body. Make sure you are closely monitored with bloodwork and ultrasounds. One great source of info from others going through similar issues is www.ivfconnections.com. They have an awesome bulletin board system with many different infertility topics...not just ivf.

I started with a RE because I was using a donor and all the testing found the fertility issues. If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me.

It can be intimidating, but you can do it. Just take it a day at a time. Good luck!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009