Okay I need some tips ladies!!

To make a long storie short:
I took my son today for his 6 month check-up and his pedi asked me how long does he sleep at night b4 he wakes up I said he started waking up every 3hr again b4 he woke up every 5hr, so she said when he wakes up DONT feed him!!
omg what am I goin to do?
he cries his eyes out..so just let him cry it out..
umm he shares a room with my other son..but anyways
can anyone help me by telling me what can I do?
I dont wanna pick him up everytime cuz he will get used to it..
or has anyone had to go through this??

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i fed my baby when she woke up hungry
    Anonymous

• OH YES... I went through this with my son! Unfortuniately - the best way is to not go in (unless it is a cry that he is hurt or something, you know the difference) - and he will learn to soothe himself. That is what this is all about. Waking up in the middle of the night - and learning to soothe himself back to sleep.

In the meantime you may consider moving your other son to a different room until this is under control as to not affect his sleeping pattern.

Hope this helps!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ugghhh. some docs make me so mad. I told one of my sons doctors about his sleeping habits and she said do the cry it out method...I do not do this. I do not like the cry it out method.
    I know it doesn't help...but I fed my son when he woke up. Sure he gets used to me picking him up and rocking him and helping him sleep...but I feel this is fine to do. He now is 9 mo old and sleeps 6-7 hrs straight. This is wonderful compared to his old habits of 3-4 hrs. I feel for you but if he is waking up your other son, I say soothe him. maybe he is hungry...who can say don't feed him. sometimes when babies are hungry and they just wake up it gives them little stomach pains.

mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I suggest you do a little reading and question your ped. At 6 months babies go through a growth spurt and NEED extra food, that's likely why he's waking up more. If it's the case, you should feed him and know this will pass soon. If he's teething, then take care of that. Whatever his need is it's your job to meet it.
    Also, he won't "get used" to being held. And it's completely appropriate for an infant to want to be near his mother, that's how he feels love.
    I also suggest you check out the book The No-Cry Sleep Solution, it has LOTS of great info and advice in there for all kinds of living situations, and it really helped me through those long nights.

Good luck.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 4:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I might put him in the room with me and my BF
    Oh he will get a kick of this lol!!
    I am going to hate this.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Did your doc say WHY?! I would think 6 months might be a growth spurt. Unless the child is overweight or having weight gain issues (actually 3 hours should be OK, but I was told not to nurse every hour becuase my daughter was actually burning more calories than she was getting. It made sense and making her weight really did help her gain more. Once she was gaining OK, he said it was OK to feed on demand but that we would monitor it as a precuation but she was fine after that.
    Anonymous

• We are doing this at the moment with my DD. She was waking up every 3 hrs. to bf and is 4/5 mos. The doc. told me there's no reason she needs to eat this much, that she's waking out of habit, so little by little, we've stretched her eating out at night. Now she can go 5 hrs. If she wakes up before 5 hrs. I'll go in once to soothe her and that's it. She seems to get the point now, but she still wakes up sometimes.
    Anonymous

• Yea mommylovesu28:
    my BF thinks its BS!
    but should i let him cry or get up and clam him down?
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I have learned that ALL doctors in pediatrics seems to have different OPINIONS - that's all they are too- you need to figure out what works best for your baby and your family. ARG.. doctors make me so mad!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009