Am i crazy for making my 18 responsible for paying the insurance detuctible for the car accident he caused?

my 18 year old son crashed my car three months ago, we had a verbal agreement if he was ever in an accident HE would be responsible for the $500.00 deductible, he was 17 when the accident occurred, he was talking on his cell phone. He has a job, that is full time during the summer, at a golf country club. He has known for months the car needs to be fixed, now he is refusing to pay for the deducible , and instead getting a tatto today on his 18th birthday, what should I do?

Tricia_5

Asked by Tricia_5 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• make him pay for it... do you pay for his cell phone or does he? b/c if you do, i'd take it away and i wouldn't let him drive my car anymore either
    Anonymous

• When I turned 16 and got a car, I was responsible for the insurance premium, upkeep, gas, oil changes, and all. If I didn't pay or keep it up, the car was taken away. It made me more aware of the responsibility and luxury of having a car.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Stop paying anything for him until he pays up. Remind him if he hasn't already graduated that things like senior pictures, prom, etc are coming up and the cost of that can go toward the deductable.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You are not crazy and are completley in the right. He should have to pay and if he does not pay then he should find his own insurance and pay for that on his own, see how that works our for him. Driving is a privlidge and accidents do happen but you have to take responsibility for it. Its called being an adult sucking it up and doing the right thing. Its seems like a good dose of reality. Do not question yourself!! I would have to say that i would bel livid, and he would no longer be driving any of my vehicles or be on my insurance until he payed up.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Make him pay for it and take him off your insurance because he has obviously showed you he isn't responsible enough and you dont need to be liable if he kills someone because they can come after the policy holders assets! I would tell him he is 18 and has a job so its time he get his own car and insurance!!
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• In this case , i would choose the " tough love." He is about to be an adult. He needs to learn responsibilities, like how will he get to work without a car? Is his tattoo gonna get him to work? It may sound cruel , but its reality,, if you can't rely on yourself then how do you expect to rely on others? He should pay for the deductible, does he expect for you to pay for everything his whole life? Its time for him to step up IMO. I would tell him to get his own car , pay the deductible, or find another way to work. Simple as that. Your not crazy.........lol.

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• DO NOT PAY!!! If the car belongs to you - take the keys away - if he refuses to pay his portion, he has to face the consequences. I agree whole heatedly with the Tough Love! I understand that he needs a car to get him to work, but he needs to man up - he wants to be an adult - he needs to act like one!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You are ABSOLUTELY right. Revoke the car or whatever you need to in order to make up the $500.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• make him pay....maybe he'd learn a lesson that mommy won't bail him out.

Anonymous

• Make him pay. If he feels that he is responsible enough to drive... he can take on all the responsibilities of driving. You can really give him an eye opener and since he's 18 now, charge him rent. Or just do that until you get the $500 you need to get the car fixed
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 6:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009