Would you take your breastpump to the hospital with you?

I've seen some moms saying they are taking their own pumps to the hospital & I'm just curious why. Isn't it just easier to feed them directly? I'm going in soon so I'm curious about this. Maybe it's a common-sense answer I can't think of!!

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 4:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• idk but i do know my sister in law took her own pump but it was b/c the baby was born 6 weeks early & she couldn't breast feed him
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I did just in case. Good thing I did as she had to go to NICU for 8 days. I kept it in the hotel room (lived 50 minutes away from hospital) and the hospital provided one in the ICU for me. Most hospitals will provided them while you are there. One thing though, milk doesn't usually come in until 3-4 days after birth, so if you go home in the regular 2 days, you probably won't need it as long as baby nurses off of you directly.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I guess you can take it, but I would (and did) feed my son directly. They need to get used to you, and the idea of sucking... if you start them right off with a bottle - even if it is expressed milk - they may get used to that nipple and never take yours. That could affect your production. So, my opinion, breast feed (if that is the choice you make) exclusively for the first several weeks at least. Then later move to expressed milk.

NOW - there is nothing wrong if you are getting engorged and baby isn't eating as much as you are producing with pumping the excess to relieve yourself and freezing it. Just make sure to get all of the air out. I like the Medela zip lock bags - or similar.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• They have pumps you can use in the event of an emergency. I didn't take one and I wouldn't.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't, St Mary's will provide one with new attachments if you truly desire to pump during your stay, but it's probably best to get your little guy hooked up to your boob =)
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would not, for two reasons, One its easier to teach your little on to latch on with out that being there as a crutch to use, and two if you truly need one the hospital will provide them. My insurance covers a new one with ever birth that the hospital provides and I can take home-
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 6:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009