I don't know if I should invite my dad to the baby's birthday party.

Nobody really likes my dad, his wife, or their kid. They usually tolerate them but don't really enjoy their company. I don't mind my dad but his wife and my brother are some of the most obnoxious people I have ever met. Both are attention whores and will sit and complain all day to anyone that comes near them. I'm kind of torn with this, I know they love my baby and would want to come but I also want the other guests to enjoy themselves. There are a few people who won't come if they know my dad and his wife are coming, or they will leave if they see him there.

It's the first birthday by the way. I just don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Tell everyone to PLAY NICE in the sand box. This is not about any of them but the child.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you should have two parties or gatherings, or have them arrive at different times. So some guests will know that your Dad's family is coming at a particular time. But if that's not feasible, then I would definitely invite your Dad. Just because others might not be comfortable is no reason not to invite someone who is very important in your child's life. People should be savvy enough in a social situations to "maneuver" around people they dislike or would rather not talk to.  The point of the party is to celebrate your child and your child's life and everyone who is important to that child should be involved. In 10 years, the child might wonder why grandpa isn't in the pics, or you could alienate your Dad. I don't think the comfort of the other guests should be your concern, other than being hospitable and gracious, to those who show up. They should understand your Dad's place in your family, and deal with it.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009