Should I buy formula incase my breastmilk isn't enough?

I plan on breastfeeding, but sometimes i know it doesn't work out or the baby doesn't get enough to eat. Should I have formula and bottles at the house already in case that happens? What if my husband were at work and I couldn't feed my baby? That sounds awful.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If my breasts hurt to the point where I want to kill myself, I will use formula instead. There's no point in me being miserable. I've never even heard of breastfeeding until becoming pregnant, no one in my family did it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If you do, it will most likely cause you to not breast feed exclusively and that will result in a lower milk supply. I wouldn't unless absolutely necessary. It just seems easier in the middle of the night to mix a bottle than to nurse even though it's more work.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Check out kellymom.com to ease your mind. If you want to keep a little formula in the house in case of emergencies, that's one thing. But a lot of moms use it when they don't need to but think they do and that decreases the supply. The best thing to do to encourage your supply is drink lots of water, breast milk is made up of lots of water. And don't second guess yourself. Remember that a child's stomach is as big as his fist, and in the beginning a feeding of colostrum is only something like two teaspoons. And seek out an LC, some hospitals even have them on hand and/or have classes.

Also, if you're not already a part of a breast feeding group on cafemom, join one! A good support system is so important!
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 4:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Oh and another thing. Milk doesn't just suddenly fry up. If you have low milk supply, it will gradually lessen over time. You will have notice before you actually need to buy formula.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• No. You are more likely to doubt yourself and fail. One bottle in those early days can mess your BF relationship up.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 4:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree - If it is there it is so easy to be used as a crutch. Wouldn't it be nice for daddy to get up in the middle of the night?? Bottles are one thing - for expressed milk later on - but I wouldn't have formula.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• No, if you have it you are more likely to use it when you don't really need to. And that will sabotage your bf'ing efforts.  Give it some time first and then if you do need to supplement you'll know that you gave it your best shot.

canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• No No No !!! Don't buy formula or bottles and don't have them in the house. Or any pacifiers. If you don't have them you won't be tempted to use them.

Babies are born with exta fat and fluid stores to hold them over until their mother's milk comes in. According to the World Health Organization virtually all women can breastfeed. That includes starving women, women who live in war zones, women living in conditions like Katrina. There is no reason to believe you can't breastfeed as long as you have at least one breast.

It is very easy to breastfeed in the night. I breastfeed for about a total of 10 years with my children, 10 years of night feeding. It's easy! Even if you thought it was easier because someone else could do it, it is not best for your baby. The baby will nurse less well the next feeding.

Just one bottle has a dramatic impact - read more on kellymom.com, the site recommended above.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The hospital will give you free samples. My DH wanted to throw it all out 'cause I was bf'ing but we have used some of it now that she's older and supplemented with 1 bottle of formula per day. I wouldn't buy any, but keep the samples just in case and maybe have 1 or 2 bottles.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'm going to go in the opposite direction and say yes. Try to get at least one can of (hopefully free) forumula. When my first son was 2 weeks old I had to much pain to feed him (bad latch) I literally couldn't feed him. I ended up giving him a bottle until I could pump enough to feed him without it, and after 2 weeks of exclusively pumping I was healed enough to go back to exclusively breastfeeding him. He had a bottle of formula a day for a week until I could pump enough to feed him without it. If you never use it you can always bring it to a church or give it away to someone else.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009