Is it acceptable to have a baby shower and then when the baby gets here, have a welcoming party so that everyone can see him?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 4:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yeah totally!!!
    That's what we're doing.... some of my husbands family couldn't come to the shower so my mother in law is throwing me one of those... I wouldn't specify no gifts..... that's silly. A welcoming party doesn't require your guest to bring a gift. and if they do anyways... you get presents for baby!!! who doesn't like presents
    jachelle

Answer by jachelle at 5:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yes as long as you dont request gifts the second time.
    Anonymous

• Sure, but I'd specifically state on the invitations: "No gifts, please."
    AutumnBlessing

Answer by AutumnBlessing at 4:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yeah...im thinking of doing that just so I dont have people comming by on odd days. But usually people will just bring gifts if they know you dont have something. Like my couin had a babyshower and then had a welcomming party and the baby got just a bunch of onsies because she didnt get many at the babyshower.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I doubt you'll want a welcoming party lol. It's a good thought though
    Anonymous

• I dont know. I kinda like either doing one or the other.

I dont think Id have a specific gathering for a welcoming cuz Id be too pooped to want to do that LOL.

I think, if people are so inclined to have one tho then definately mark it "no gifts".
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Or you could wait and have the shower after the baby arrives provided you have most of the "major" items you'll need immediately. But either way I think that's a great idea. Just make sure the party isn't a "party". You don't need matching decorations etc. Keep it simple, or have someone else organize it for you.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• man i'd have a diaper party lol! that sounds like fun!!!! but i wouldn't require gifts but they are welcome!!!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would have a potluck to meet the baby and specify no gifts on the invites. Keep it casual, and let your guests do the cooking. You are not going to want to be on your feet preparing for a party for a couple months at least.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 5:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would ESPESISIALLY if you have a baby shower- I would want to see the child I helped provide for. I think its selfish to excepts peoples gift at a baby shower, and not have them come over and see the new born they blessed with gifts. Its a good way to show how you used the things the people bought you, and to say thank you after the baby is born. as always, at the second party, put on the invites NO GIFTS. People will choose to bring them or not.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 6:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009