I want to be excited, but is this bad?

My son just decided that he hates being on his tummy at 7 months (so much for crawling haha). Now he's almost 8 months and only likes to stand. He pulls up on his to stand and can hold onto our ottoman for who knows how long. He loves it, and I want to be excited, but is it too soon for his chunky baby legs to be doing this?

My husband started walking when he was 8 months and seems fine, but many people are saying it's not good for him and to not let him pull himself up. When did your baby start walking? What have you heard about it being too soon?

ours

Asked by ours at 5:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has been up holding on to things to walk around since she was 7 months old. But she didn't actually start to walk until 11 months. Some babies walk before they crawl. My cousin did. Don't you worry he is just fine. He's just not interested in being down anymore. He wants to be up like everyone else is. :)
    SMarsolf

Answer by SMarsolf at 5:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son started cruising as soon as he started crawling at 7 months. He didn't walk though until he was 10 months
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Your son will let oyu know when it is time - his body won't allow him to do things he isn't physically ready for - no worries be excited!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 5:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I went to baby and mommy yogo when our son was 2 months old. We would lay him down, grab his hands and pull him up, working on neck support. Once he had that, took about a week, we pulled him to standing so he could build those muscles. We would even just hold his hands and his natural reflex was to use his legs to push the rest of his body up.

Someone correct me, but it's isometric contractions he's having while standing there, building his muscles.

I've never heard it being too early.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i do not think so but the docotors made my ex my older kids go back and crawl when he was five years old. So try to get him to crawl alittle bit if you can.
    jsf

Answer by jsf at 5:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If he can do it - It isn't bad! His little legs will support him, if they won't, he wouldn't do it. He is doing GREAT!

My son started pulling up on things at about 6 months - started 'cruising' about 8 months but didn't actually walk on his own regularly until 15 months. He will do what his body tells him to do!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ok good. :] I have a feeling I need to start saving up for those baby gates!
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Uhm, I feel dumb, but what's "cruising?"
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My second son nearly skipped crawling. The crawling activity "hard-wires" the brain and muscles for fundamental coordination. When he was 4, I noticed a big disconnect between his arms and legs. You know how we swing our right arm forward when we step our left foot forward, for balance? Well, he didn't have that when he went cross-country skiing.

I invented some crawling play so that I crawled with him crawling under me, and I playfully made his arms and knees move with coordination. And when he went to Kindergarten, his teacher and I put our heads together for some play movements for school & home.

He was pretty accident-prone growing up, but then he was also a dare-devil so I can't say how much his coordination caused accidents.

Recently, his wife took him skiing (I quietly warned her to watch out) and he did great.

DO play crawling games with your baby to model crawling for him. Hard floors hurt, there (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't consider this bad at all. Mine never crawled, went straight to walking.

"Cruising" is walking while holding on to furniture or whatever is in reach.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009