Quitting after Maternity leave, will I have to pay back the sick time I used?

By the time I give birth, I will have accrued the maximum amount of sick time allowed through my place of employment (640 hrs). I plan on using this accrued sick time for my maternity leave (which is allowed, which is what many women do, it's about 3 months). If I quit before returning back to work, will I have to pay that back? (I do not have insurance through them, but through my husband's employer)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• i'd take the leave, go back for a day then quit that way you'd be safe lol
    Anonymous

• Need to check your employee handbook. I quit a week after returning and they said I had to be back for 30 days. I was billed for over $2,000
    Anonymous

• Check your employee handbook. My husband company pays out vacation and sick time when you quit you have to give 30 days notice. Each company is going to be different.
    Anonymous

• You might, depending on the policy established by your employer. Some may also require any health care coverage to be paid back. To have accrued 600+ hours, you must have worked for them for a long time. Considering the economic state, do you really want to burn bridges? I wouldn't hire you back for a stunt like that. I'd hire you back if you were honest and up front about what you were doing, but to expect you to return then having you bail is in it's own way dishonest.
    Anonymous

• This is so dishonest. I hope that you have to pay it all back
    Anonymous

• Read your employee handbook, you can very well be made to pay it all back.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with Anon :48. They're going to be your last employer so when you decide to start working again, whether that is a year from now or 5 years from now, it would probably behoove you to keep them on your good side to use as a reference.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Original poster here, I wouldn't just up and quit. I like my employer. I'd give them plenty of notice so they could find someone else. I'll have to check the handbook.
    Thank you for the answers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009