• In the Spotlight:

My 7 yr. old daughter still sleeps in a pullup.....any advice on stopping this?

My girl is 7 and on the austism spectrum. She's fine during the day going on her own to the bathroom. Once she's asleep, she will sleep right through wetting. I really want to change this.....any advice?

momof2wneeds

Asked by momof2wneeds at 5:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk to a doctor
    Anonymous

• She has autism. I would say it could be normal even without autism. Sometimes their bladders do not grow as quickly as the rest of them. She's probably fine, but you could ask her doctor.
    paralegal09

Answer by paralegal09 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My Nephew has autism. He is 15 and still wears a pull up. To determine was is in the normal range depends on why type of autisim she has. Talk to her doctor to determine what is normal and how to address the issue. Good luck and keep using the pull up. It's better than having to change and wash the sheets everyday...
    Beca-smiles

Answer by Beca-smiles at 5:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Some kids just take longer. I would talk to her Dr. to make sure there is no medical problem but usually they don't begin to get concerned about it until 10 yrs old. Some kids are heavy sleepers. My grandson is a very heavy sleeper. If we don't get him up between 11and 12 pm tp pee before we head to bed he will pee through every time.. We had to do this for both of our own boys too.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I don't think having Autism is an excuse to not be able to do things(and yes my son has Autism). It just means that it may take a little longe to get it right. :)
    I would try buying a plastic sheet for the bed, let her wear underwear, set my alarm for some time in the middle of the night and get up and assist her into the bathroom. My little brother had a bed wetting problem when he was the same age and that was how it got solved. After a week or two he got accostomed to getting up himself to go on his own when he needed to.
    Good luck.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Start setting an alarm to go off 1/2 way through the night and wake her to urinate. It will become habit for her.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 5:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Thanks everyone.....all good answers....I couldn't pick a best one.
    momof2wneeds

Answer by momof2wneeds at 6:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with honeyb in waking her up for a couple of weeks till her body gets the hang of it. It worked for our son. (He is not autistic though.)
    Anonymous

• Since she is girl it might take till puberty for it to change. I didn't have autism but as soon as I hit puberty at 12 I quit. My bladder muscle got stronger. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• IOt could be normal for any kid. But try to cut off liquids an hour or two b/f bed and to try to wake her up and take her to the bathroom a couple of times throughout the night. See how it works. Give it a few weeks.
    If you see NO improvement. Then wait a couple of months and try again.
    Autism aside, diff. kids bodies dev. differently..
    Also if she takes any medicines they may be contributing to heavy sleep.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2009