When do you start "solid" foods to a baby?

I am a first time mom and I can get a good answere on when to start my son on baby food.

jlkeithley2005

Asked by jlkeithley2005 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• they say 6months but I started when My son was 4 1/2 months
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• my daughter started at 4 months. I even started with stage 2 because it is cheaper for more. However, I only gave her half the jar. And for thicker items such as peas, I would mix in a little breast milk to thin them out. it really depends on the baby and how they respond to the food. Start out gradually.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Between 4-6 months. Closer to 4 months for formula fed babies.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for around the first 6 months. You want breastfed babies to get as much breastmilk as possible for the first 6 months. After starting solids, breastfeeding should remain the main source of nutrition.

Right now the "experts" aren't being clear official looking guidelines about starting solids. What the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) said in 2008 is that babies over 4-6 months can eat anything even highly allergic foods like peanuts. Their hasn't been a lot of publicity.

I have a breastfed grandson and we a started him the way La Leche League recommends. Now he is 10 months so we are giving him more foods but it feed a little "bad."

The article from AAP is in the Jan 2008 issue of Pediatrics. You can find more on starting solids at kellymom.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• "Normally" start cereal between 4-6 months, then vegetables, then fruits. From my experience if you introduce fruits first they will be less likely to like the veggies.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009