Do you think it will make a difference if I use dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar?

I'm making chewy bread, and the recipe calls for light brown sugar,but I bought dark brown sugar. Do you think it will make a difference if I use dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar?

PiscesMommy021

Asked by PiscesMommy021 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• probably
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Not really. I think it will turn out so close to the original, you will hardly be able to tell the difference.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Dark brown sugar has a much higher moisture content. and a much sweeter taste. I always substitute with dark brown and granulated for light brown. Say my recipe calls for 1/2 cup light brown sugar. I use a 1/4 cup each of dark and granulated. It always works out okay. for me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You should be able to substitute it pretty much measure for measure. I've done it many times when I only have dark....or only have light....in my chocolate chip cookies. The cookies may be a little darker, but really even that is barely noticeable.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• It shoudln't but your food may have a sweeter taste. Dark brown sugar has more molasses in it than light brown sugar, otherwise there is no difference.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009