Do you ever make one meal for you and one for your kids?

My kids are extremely picky and won't eat lots of things so I make a separate meal for them. They're 14 and 15.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 6:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• All the time but they are 5 and 6. There are thing we love that they can't eat yet. Kung Pao and a 5 yr old isn't gonna happen. MIne aren't particularly picky. I think they are about average. Foods that are hot, too spicey or have strong flavors are things that take time for kids to grow into. A 14 and 15 yr old would be making their own if they wanted something different. I guess I'm a big meanie that way. But EVERYONE in my house has to take a fair bite of anything new.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Your kids are picky because you make them separate meals. I stopped making separate meals for my daughter when she was 18 months old.

Did you know that by the end of next year one-half of American children will be overweight and undernourished, and that one-third of them will develop type 2 diabetes? You are hurting your children by allowing them to be picky.

You should all be drinking at least 8 oz glasses of water a day; eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors; eating 5-6 servings of whole grains a day and eating at least 2 servings of legumes a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Nope...not gonna happen. I am not a short order cook. I make dinner, that's what there is to eat...period.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 6:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I have never prepared separate meals for my kids. When my youngest was a bay, I mashed her food and she ate what we ate. My girls love foods you wouldn't think a kid would. My 6yo regularly requests pork chops w/ sauerkraut & pineapples. My son did not like it, but we made him eat a little, then he could fix himself a sandwich. We do not force him to eat a lot, just enough to get a good taste of it. He used to complain when we had that. Over time, he started complaining less and eating more. The next to last time I fixed it, he said it kinda smells good. The last time, he said he was starting to like it and asked for seconds. My son will sometimes ask for something besides what I am cooking. My response is, "I am not a restaurant." You are doing your kids a disservice by doing that for them. They may think you are there to cater to them and what they want. That is not healthy for any of you. You need and deserve their respect.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'm sorry, but a 14 and 15 year old, if they are picky, should be making their own meals. Cooking a toddler something different is one thing; they have some dietary restrictions. But cooking a different meal for someone who should be an adult in 3 or 4 years is absurd.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My child has always eaten what we have eaten. That is one of the reasons we started eating healthier when he was born. Set a good example. I'm afraid your children are set in their ways and you will have a hard time breaking them of being picky.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 7:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Usually not, they eat what I fix. The only exception is if one of them really doesn't like something, like fish, then I'll fix them a hotdog or something and they eat the sides I have fixed. I am not a short order cook, if I let all of them do that I"d be cooking all day!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• nope. that was one thing that I was strict about not doing. I want them to eat what I make for the entire family. I didn't want to be a slave to the kitchen and the kids - catering to their every whim (and the whims they have are pretty out there some days)

thankfully they all like the same things - there aren't many things that one likes but the other hates.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i make separate meals for me & my husband...he likes good food, and I'm trying to eat healthy...

Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My boys are 17, 19 & 26. I have never made separate meals for them. They eat what I serve, when they were small if they chose not to eat it, it would go in the fridge in case they were hungry later. When they were young we were on a tight budget and I couldn't afford to make 2 meals. I worked as a photo chef for a newspaper, and the newspaper paid for the ingredients for me to practice the recipes once and then prepare them again for the photo shoots. Whatever I made to practice for those shoots....and often the food I made for the actual photo shoot was eaten by my family. Often it was food we'd never tried before....or even heard of. I really believe that's why my boys aren't picky eaters. They are willing to try pretty much anything.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009