Am I spoiling my son???

my son is 3 months old and i'm worried i might be spoiling him. He cries ALOT if i try and lay him down just to change his diaper or play with him. Have i spoiled my son?? And if i have what do i do??? HELP!!!!

ilovemycupcake

Asked by ilovemycupcake at 6:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't feel like a person can spoil a baby until they are like 6-7 months. Your just a loving mother.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 6:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• no. he needs nurturing and knowing you are there for him. It's not spoiling him. It's giving him security

Answer by admckenzie at 6:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• NO! He is NOT spoiled. Just keep doing what you are doing-just be really gentle and talk in soothing tones-have a toy to ditract him-make funny faces etc...
    My sister has this problem with her son. He is going to be three next month and has MAJOR seperation issues. Her doc has discovered that he is on the autism spectrum.
    I AM NOT saying your son is autistic, just really loves his momma!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You cannot spoil a baby that young. They need to be held and loved on to feel safe and secure. Don't worry about spoiling him. Give him all the hugs and cuddles he needs.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Infants CANNOT be spoiled. TODDLERS can be spoiled when you give them every toy or sweet they see.

He's normal. What you do? Comfort him. That's your #1 job. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 6:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• IMO, you can't spoil a baby that young. He is just making sure your there. He is learning to feel secure, and you holding him alot and responding to his cries teaches him this. Your doing a great job, mom, don't worry!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• agreed
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• you cant spoil a baby but what ya can try is when you lay him down and he freaks, stay with him, hold his hands and body so he knows you are there . eventually what happens with babies that are held all the time is they cant be comforted by anyone but mom, and also they cant self comfort with leads to issues later on. it will nto hurt him to cry a coupe minutes while you stand with him touching him and maybe singing or talking in a soothing voice to him.or can you distract hijm with a mirror, or another toy he can look at? Hopefully he will realize"hey nothing is wrong with me, this isnt so bad "lol. after a couple mins then pick him up, and try to lengthen the time. hope it helps mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• you cannot spoil your newborn =]
    youre just being a great mommy! enjoy the time you have with him now. when he starts walking he won twant to be cuddled as much.Lol
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 3:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009