Do you..

trust your pets around your children? I just read a story about a baby (born 3 weeks early and less than a week old) was taken from his crib, after being home for less than 24 hours, but the family dog and taken to the woods behind their home. The baby boy suffered from a fractured skull, broken ribs and 2 punctured lungs. As of now the baby's doing okay, but how could you trust your pet after that? Would you wanna trust your pet after that? What would you do?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Thats horrible. I have a cat and a weenie dog, I do trust them around babies though. Did you hear about the little baby that was eaten by a rat in its crib? just awful
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 6:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Where the heck were the parents when this supposedly happened? I completely trust my dog with my children (and my cats too), but I allowed time to have them all meet the baby and adjust to having her in the home. I never left my girls unattended with the animals within the first 5-6 months. Even at night when we were sleeping I had the cats locked away from the baby and the dog sleeps with me so if she moves off the bed I would feel it. This story sounds a bit far fetched to me...and very odd.
    Anonymous

• ooooh, that story about the infant and the rats just made my skin crawl and broke my heart. Those "parents" and "adults" that allowed that to happen need the shit be outta them.
    Anonymous

• I saw it at momlogic.com. If I can find the article, I'll post the link.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i think it all depends on the animal. I have 2 cats and they love my daughter to death, they even allow her to pull their ears and such all the time and don't even get mad. It took them a little time to realize they weren't the babies anymore. So i think if you animals are well trained and you don't forget about them when the baby is born, then there should be no problem
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with Anon.. I think there were extenuating circumstances there. I trust my four dogs around babies, but I also know that they are animals, and have instincts, and so would NEVER leave my child unsupervised for long periods of time around them. I'm pretty sure all that would happen is my lab mix would probably give her a bath, but still... where were the parents during this? Sounds like bad parenting, not bad animals, to me.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 6:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• We have 2 large German shepherds and I would trust them around babies, although never alone. If I'm in bed the dogs are in my room, I don't want them wandering around the house at night. We have done that since they were puppies. People need to remember animals have different instincts, they should be treated like dogs,not humans. We love ours like our own children but again they're dogs.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I heard that story too. The disturbing thing is that the door was closed and the dog still got the baby. I do trust my pets around my baby. However, I don't leave the baby alone with them at all. The dog goes into a cage at night and during naptime to ensure my son's safety.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I trust my dog around my kids, but I don't leave him alone with them for long periods. He's an outside dog, anyway, but they are only left alone with him long enough for me to run to the bathroom, grab the phone, check the mail, or answer the door. I have to say, though, that I kind of find it odd that the dog got the baby, took him thru the house and got him out of the house with no one noticing? And TheDiva says the door was closed? I don't know...I find that kind of strange.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• To each her own,but I am not a pet person at all especially with babies and small children. I feel it is an unnecessary risk and unsanitary.I also agree with mrsleftlane for those that do have pets. Dogs should be treated as dogs not kids.I just think that no matter how much you've babied them and trust them they still have animal instincts.

corinnejenkins

Answer by corinnejenkins at 9:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009