What age is it ok to give a very small amount of honey to my son?

example: honey battered chicken nuggets

JettMom08

Asked by JettMom08 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• After 1 year.
    Anonymous

• I have heard not before a year old
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I have heard the same thing about 1 year. But I don't think that a few would hurt your child as long as they are pretty close to a year. Its not like you are giving it to them straight.
    Anonymous

• Two!! It is not worth risking botulism.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I heard any amount of honey before the age of 2 can be dangerous. Although I'm not about it on foods. I would check with your child's dr. I had a friend who gave her 3 yr old honey in tea and he became sick.
    marge1964

Answer by marge1964 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Honey is honey imo. Adding it to a liquid, adding it to a batter doesn't change the fact its honey. I would wait til 2-3.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• After 1 year is what I was told by my son's doctor and a nutritionist. Honey can cause botchilism in kids under a year.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• OMG! i gave my son honey when he was teething around 4 months. it was just a swipe though round his gums.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I read an article about this just recently. We are supposed to wait till 1 year because their stomachs aren't acidic enough to kill the botulism (ie it's not a quantity thing- any amount of honey can cause issue if it's infected). BUT with things like honey cheerios or graham crackers, the honey is heated during manufacture enough to kill all the botulism, so those items are considered safe (it is heated to hotter than you could heat it at home, so cooking honey yourself does not make it safe). However, that doesn't say anything about a honey liquid like BBQ sauce or battering, so I would hold off unless you can find info from the company website or something
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• After one year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Jul. 23, 2009