Why do so many think the "end times" is coming?

The media is better able to cover disasters and crimes, so unlike in the old days, we have to hear about everything that happens....and technology has made it faster and easier to take out large numbers of people at a time...but does that mean that the general population is more violent??? Actually it doesn't. Check this out:

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/greatergood/2009april/Pinker054.php

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The "end times" has been present since the assension of Jesus. Every generation since Jesus thought they were living in the end times, and rightfully so! I couldn't imagine living in Germany during Hitler's time. What absolute evidence they must have thought they had that the world was ending and that Hitler was THE Anti-Christ. There have been countless situations where I'm sure our ancestors thought "this was it!" I know that we're in the end times but I don't think "the end" is any more around the corner than it was when people thought it was 2,000 years ago. I think our timeline and our concept of time is a lot different than God's. There are goodness who knows how many interpretations of "what Jesus meant when he said X or X" (and I know, "mine is right and your's is wrong" is about to come typing out of someone's fingers lol). I think we need to follow what Jesus said and be ready but not fanatical about it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Because the bible tells us so.. Everything you hear in the news we have read it in the bible.. That's how we know.. The bibles says no man knows the day or the hour but will will know when its at the door... IF you want go to Matthew chapter 24 and read it.. and that is just a start of what is going to be coming on this earth.. The world is going to get allot worse then it is now.. But the believes in Jesus will be taken out of the World before it gets to bad... :) But its all the the bible written a long time ago and its coming to pass now.. God already knew what was going to happen before we did.. God bless

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Did you read the article hinson? The world is getting BETTER, not worse!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• metalcow there will be a time of peace ... before the worst that is to come. Ever heard of the calm before the storm? Thats whats happening. It will look better before it gets worse.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Not to mention, there are FOUR major theories of "the end times" vs. "the end of the world" currently in existence (not to mention countless lesser popular theories) that all feel they have extreme Biblical basis. Who's right?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• To an extent I think it's a self fulfilling prophecy. If you believe that such and such a thing is going to happen, you tend to seek out things that support your belief, or interpret things in such a way that they support what you believe will happen. I also think that many of the signs are vague enough that you can interpret them broadly and thus could make a good argument for ANY time period being a sign of the 'end times.'

Personally I'm not Christian but do believe we could very well be living in the 'end times'- not based on prophecy but on human nature. We now have weapons that could destroy our planet and history demonstrates our incapacity to get along with our fellow man. We also are rapidly changing our ecosystem to the point that long term life on earth may not be sustainable. Without a radical attitude adjustment towards peace and conservation we may very well be at the end- and we did it to ourselves.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I am Christian, and I don't know if we are in the end times now or not. Only God knows. I do know that we are closer than we were, obviously. I agree with Freela who said:

We now have weapons that could destroy our planet and history demonstrates our incapacity to get along with our fellow man. We also are rapidly changing our ecosystem to the point that long term life on earth may not be sustainable. Without a radical attitude adjustment towards peace and conservation we may very well be at the end- and we did it to ourselves.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• For Christians I think it is the natural desire to be with Jesus and to see all the evil of the world end.  For many we have read the prophecies, we know the story of Jesus ascension and promised return.  That was over 2,000 years ago and He said it would be soon.  We are eager, perhaps too eager at times. 

As to that article, it struck me as wishful thinking.  Tell Christians in India that the world is less violent, 9/11 wasn't that long ago, and we are still at war in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Iran and North Korea are in the process of developing nuclear weapons,  and there is piracy on the open seas.  So it doesn't seem more peaceful to me.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i agree with November! Every generation believes they are living in the end times, simply because each generation is more 'radical' than the last. My grandmother said she thought the world was going to end, when she was a child back in the 20's.

It states very clearly that no man will no the day or hour of the second coming. It will be when everyone least expects it-during a time of world peace and understanding.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2009