Do you think that it is a "priority" for Obama to fund Mars Exploration?

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

WASHINGTON — NASA's new boss said Tuesday he will be "incredibly disappointed" if people aren't on Mars — or venturing somewhere beyond it — in his lifetime.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden Jr., who's 62, said his ultimate goal isn't just Mars — it's anywhere far from Earth.

"I did grow up watching Buck Rogers, and Buck Rogers didn't stop at Mars," Bolden said in an interview with The Associated Press. "In my lifetime, I will be incredibly disappointed if we have not at least reached Mars."

That appears to be a shift from the space policy set in motion by the Bush administration, which proposed first returning to the moon by 2020 and then eventually going to Mars a decade or two later. Bolden didn't rule out using the moon as a stepping stone to Mars and beyond.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534411,00.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A little ambitious isn't he!

I think space exploration is very admirable and certainly exciting. It is something we should do. I just think that the private sector should be more involved. It shouldn't all have to be borne by the taxpayers.

With the hoopla about a big push I wonder if NASA isn't telling us something. Maybe they have good evidence of resources we could use and are pushing for the US to get their first to claim them. IDK.

If they are going to make a big push for something it would like it to be the development of new energy. Not the same little ideas rattling around today or cap & trade kind of crap. But, real new technology, like when we developed the "bomb."
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• cont

Bolden met with President Barack Obama on Monday, and some experts said he seems to be signaling a refocusing of NASA's general exploration plan.

A former astronaut, Bolden also vowed to extend the life of the international space station beyond 2016, the year the Bush administration planned to abandon it.

As one way to help fund a new moon rocket, the Bush administration had proposed not paying for the space station beyond 2015 — even as astronauts are currently in space building additions to it. And just last week, the space station program manager told The Washington Post that the plan was to guide the $100 billion station into the ocean at the end of its life.
    Anonymous

• WHAT? The outrage considering NASA has been government funded for how many years? OMG I am appalled..How dare he!! I know he's only 3/5 of a person still in the minds of many, but he's carrying on the funding of NASA.

In other words..So what!!!
    Anonymous

• I think NASA and a whole bunch of other companies and organization waste too much money at stupid things.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• not now... not yet...
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 7:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• why can't people just be happy with planet earth and make it a better place to live instead of wasting money on something so useless, just my opinion
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Space exploration = jobs, in my mind.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Are you flippin kidding me??? Exploration = jobs or not... the amount of money involved (that we don't have) is ridicules!

How about we come down on the credit card companies and their 30% interest?
    Or - the welfare system and put a cap on it so people can't KEEP leeching off the government - NOW - don't get me wrong... there is nothing wrong with accepting aid if you need it - TEMPORARILY - not as a main income source forever!

How about we use the money to help in the mortgage crisis?

I could go on & on & on........................
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Hell to the NO!!

After making congress pay for their own darn health care, the second thing I would do is suspend all but essential NASA functions for the next 3-5 years..save BILLIONS!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I have to agree with everyone who says NASA's projects cost too much money. I know some will think this sounds terribly backwards, but why spend those billions when we have so many urgent problems here at home? I don't see any real benefit for all the money that is being spent.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009