Was hurricane Katrina an emergency? how about a tsunami?

Let's agree that we're going to have PAYGO enforcement. That we're not going to cry 'emergency' every time we have a Katrina, every time we have a Tsunami, every time we have a need for extra spending, that we don't go call for a special appropriation that allows us to circumvent the PAYGO rules.

This statement is shocking on many levels. While we can all appreciate the benefits of a balanced budget, those benefits pale in comparison to the virtues of saving lives in the midst of an actual emergency. If saving thousands of lives costs a few extra dollars, so be it. That's why it's an "emergency."

For instance, Hurricane Katrina, which killed 1,464 in Louisiana alone, would surely qualify as an emergency by anyone's standards. In fact, Rep. Blackburn herself supported the "Emergency Appropriations" bill in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sweet, did Rep. Blackburn make this statement? If not, who did? Where did you get the info. I would like to read more.

I'll comment later...you know I'll have one!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Hurricane Katrina didn't do the majority of the damage. It was New Orleans' fault for not reinforcing those levees.

I'm sorry. People relocating to my city, taking government money for Gucci purses, Prada shoes, and whatever other bullshit they spent it on was NOT the government's responsibility, considering the NO was funded the money for the levees almost a decade ago.
    Anonymous

• The levees busted because the people in NEW ORLEANS who have the money to pay for the upkeep are corrupt. Whichyou would know if you were from that area. Also, this wasn't the first hurricane, they could have left. They live in a dang fishbowl! You did NOT see the obliterated towns in MS holding out hand begging for money and crying on the news...they took care of business. The LOCAL community of New Orleans failed them but it's WAY easier to blame Bush, oh, and vote the same (black) mayor who ran and hid, back into office. Stupid. There should be money allotted but there needs to be some kind of caps.  It is absolutely ridiculas that people were STILL in hotel rooms, paid for by the gov't 4 yrs later! 

Anonymous

• The hurricane itself killed very few people. The aftermath in New Orleans was the byproduct of their corrupt government and so you could say that the New Orleans government actually killed many of those people.

And could you please provide a link? I'm sorry, but I am not privy to this info as I have not come across an article. I may be out of it since I have to take care of my children, etc.

Anonymous

and still, was it an emergency? and again, poor people paid the price with their lives. Tell me why Sean Penn got there on a freakin boat before HELP?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

Yes,she did..Ill see if I can find a link..just got back in
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• http://mediamattersaction.org/blog/200907220004 With video
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I live in the Gulf Coast area, when a hurricane is heading this way we LEAVE!!! We take our things and get in the car and head to higher ground. I'm sorry so many people died but they were warned.....Also, it wasn't the hurricane that destroyed NO, it was the water. Katrina actually hit Mississippi and it tore that area up, it's sad to see the steps of a house leading to nowhere....
    Anonymous