Induced at 40w4d!!

I am 2cm dilated, 80 effaced and baby is at -3 station so his head is down. I will be induced at 40 weeks and 4 days but wanted to know any experiences you have had or know someone that has had because since this is my first one, I wanna know what to expect. The big day will be July 31st!

Shamerika

Asked by Shamerika at 7:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Being induced sucks (at least for me), however I was induced early (by just over 2 weeks), the pitocin didn't work well so I was in "labor" for 3 days before they broke my water then had another 24 hours of labor (where I did progress to 9cm) but after 4 hours of pushing and using the vacuum and no baby, we ended up with a C-section. This is just my experience, I've had friends who were induced and within hours had the baby no problem. They were all close to the 40 week mark though. Good luck
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I had a very lovely induction with pitocin. I had very little pain until they broke my water, and then he was delivered within the hour. A plus to pitocin is that I had very little bleeding after he was born and stopped bleeding a week later.
    It was by far the easiest of my three deliveries.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I was induced with both of my kids with one I was in labor for 18 hours but not in pain until they broke my water and boy that hurt and right after that my contractions started and I got an epidural (spell?) which hurt like crazy, but then I didn't feel any pain. With my second boy I was induced and then they broke my water and I was in labor 9 hours all together got and epidural and waala, it wasn't bad for me being induced but I do have to say the epidural hurt like hel* and I still have pain in my back once in a while from both of my pregnancies were they put the needle in.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If you cervix doesn't thin enough then they will have you come in the night prior, hook you up to monitors and put in a piece of carboard with a string (like a tampon) called cervidil. the cardboard is loaded with medicine to help thin the cervix and ease moving your progression along. The next day if your water hasn't broken then they will break it for you (feels really warm like you peed on yourself) and give you injections of pitocin. Pitocin kicks your labor into high gear like putting the baby in the express lane, provided all goes well. If the baby has trouble coming down the canal or gets stuck then you may get what I had and that's a c-section. Which means you get an epidural, don't feel a thing and a doctor does all the work for you. I am so fond of that idea.

Don't sweat it. If you have questions then ask your nurses. Get to know them. They will take care of you before the doctor arrives. Good Luck Mommy.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• my induction was ok, but she was my 3rd.

pitocin got things moving, then they broke my water and all hell broke loose ( I got epidural right before they broke my water though - learned from the first two)

3 hours later she was born.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The fact that you are 80% effaced means that you already have a headstart. You can be dilated for weeks, but that is a good start too. They probably won't need to insert anything to thin your cervix since it's almost completely thinned out, yay! They will probably just put you on pitocin, and gradually increase it. This was how my 2nd induction went. My water broke on it's own about 12 hours from the start of the pitocin. My daughter was born c-section an hour after that because her head had made no more progress down from when I went in.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• So early I would refuse it. Normal pregnancy is anywhere from 38 to 43 weeks. In all reality you may be 2 weeks earlier than they believe. I hate how docs are so induction happy these days.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Well, she said I'm measuring 40 weeks and she said I have protein in my urine BUT I have normal high blood pressure but if I get a headache that won't stop, stars in my eyes or feel the baby not move, to go immediately to L and D. I may have pre-eclampsia. Otherwise the induction would be done the 31st. Thank u for ur responses. I will make sure to let her know I want an epidural. If a c-sec has to be done, then that's fine too.
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 8:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I was induced. The contractions were strong quickly but labor was over quickly as well. I had no unbearable pain so I didn't complain but then again she was out about 44 min after they induced. I was thrilled with that!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with ColleenF30 - induction poses so many more risks than letting things progress naturally - Pitocin is a pharmaceutical drug with side effects, risks, etc. Also, induction has a very clear link to c-sections....and with the c-section rates continuing to skyrocket in such a short amount of time, you have to go back to how many doctors are inducing more women these days. Not to mention the US's fetal death rates - we have the worst outcomes in the developed world! Do some research, discuss with your doctor, and make a truly informed decision before jumping into induction.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2009