how can i get my active son ready for kindrgarden?

we have tried medications but have decided against it what can i do to get him ready for kindergarden.

grace985

Asked by grace985 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Structure...plain and simple. The more routine and structured you can make your day to day thinga "like lunch time" then "play time" make him realive it is a schedule and everything has it's time and place. It will get him in the habit of following the daily tasks a teacher is going to inforce like recess time, snack time or quiet time.

P.S my son is the same way, we do use a small does of meds. and it helps take the aggressive edge off, but still very busy!
    Anonymous

• I agree with structure. It helps to even make a little schedule such as a picture/word schedule with what the next expectation is. Praise when the child is on task is always good. Be specific..." I like that you sat down for ..." Another practice activity is to get a kitchen timer and in small increments expect the child to sit at a table to do a fun and rewarding task ( you know what they like..playdoh, books, cooking, etc). Provide praise and a small tangible reward. increase the time and keep it positive...dont forget to let them burn off steam often. good luck :)
    giftmom

Answer by giftmom at 1:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Praise him, love him and let his bubbly personality shine through. No drugs needed. Help him learn to love helping others. Show him how good it feels to share and care. With a little extra guidance he can be the apple of the teachers eye.. Kids love to be the "helper" and the more active a child is, the more energy they have to put into doing something (good or bad) so help to ensure it is good that he wants to do and make sure you give him the attention for doing good. "Catch" him doing good things and give him a sticker on a chart or ticket (we use a paper plate on the wall) 10 stars and my effervescent lil man gets a goody... he usually saves his goodies to share with friends!
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 5:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2009