I am in the "in between" stage of swaddling. What do I do???

My daughter is 14 weeks old. She has begun to resist swaddling for about 10 days now. She used to LOVE being swaddled but now has a love/hate relationship with it. She screams when we swaddle her to put her down for naps or to bed, but she CANNOT fall asleep without it (her limbs still flail about and keep her awake). We've tried only swaddling her lower half, so as to give her the use of her hands (she loves to suck on her fist), but that hasn't really worked. If anyone has any advice as to what to do during this "in between" swaddling phase, I would greatly appreciate it!

kelsie416

Asked by kelsie416 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I swaddled my son all the way up until 6 months he didn't like it but like you said it was the only way he would sleep and when I put him to sleep I would give him a binkey or bottle with some water and he would just go to sleep
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My 3 month old loves to hold onto a blankie, and it keeps his hands busy. if you can get him to grasp it as he falls asleep it may help. also if you dont have a sleep positioner, buy one. it keeps them form feeling so unstable. The flailing is normal reflex development and the postitioner reduces how much his body jerks.I would not force swaddle a baby who doesnt liek it.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009