Should I have the big sister shower and baby shower at the same time?

We are having a "big sister shower" for our DD and we are also having a baby shower. I am wondering if I should have them at the same time or different dates?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what is a big sister shower? I have never heard of that.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Its like a baby shower for the big sister. You get her presents that are for her to help with the baby. We are getting her a "big sister tool belt" it comes with baby powder ect. and matching presents for her and the baby, big sister shirts and stuff.
    Anonymous

• I didn't know there was such a thing as having a shower for the older sibling? I know etiquette isn't followed to the letter much these days but isn't that a bit presumptuous to have a party for the older sibling because a new baby is coming? I have never heard of that.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• What is a big sister shower?
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think thats a nice idea
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 7:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• presumptuous huh? lol, i think thats an awesome idea. it will help the kid not to hate the baby, like my sister hated me and i hated my sister. if you do it on the same day it might be more stressful but if you have help and can handle it go ahead
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• IT'S A GOOD IDEA BUT FOR REAL! DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO HAVE A BIG PARTY FOR IT. Is'nt that a little over board? She's gonna be a big sister that's great!
    Anonymous

• Never heard of a Big Sister shower Why would your oldest need a shower?? It sounds like something you made up to get gifts for her... I'm assuming you had a baby shower when you were pregnant with her?? I hope you're not giving these showers yourself... very tacky and totally against etiquette!  But, hey, whatever...

Anonymous

• I had a party for my oldest DD when her sis came along. I had it at a seperate time because I wanted her to feel like it was a special day just for her. She loved it. But we also didn't do it til her sis was born. So it was "Big Sis Day", instead of a shower.
    penguinqueengi

Answer by penguinqueengi at 7:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son has been an only child till now and he's 8. He is not getting a big brother party by any means. I don't want him thinking that because something happens new in his life for someone else like a new baby coming that he needs to have a big day or party too beause he isn't the center of attention. He got a shirt that has 'only child' crossed out and 'big brother' underneath it.

It's already been explained to him that this isn't all about him, it's about adding to the family as a whole. When the baby arrives he gets to do the introductions for the family to his new sister. That's about it.

I think siblings hating each other is common. It's not something that needs to be overly addressed as a means to make one feel better about an addition to the family.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2009