If you give up all processed sugar will you go through withdrawal symptoms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• unless you do it slowly and wean yourself off then yep.

cut it out cold turkey and ended up in the hospital in shock.....whoops.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I gave it up and it was hell for about 4 days. I felt like total crap. but after that I felt great. much better than before. I didnt substitute with sweeteners either. Just quit it all.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 8:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yes you will because your insulin production is thrown a curve ball if you abruptly stop.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• There will definitely be a detox period. Drink lots of water, eat lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yes but keep at it. You can do it. If i can do it anyone can do it

Answer by admckenzie at 9:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes. You'll crave any carbs that you have around because your body wants to fill the void. It's not just the "sweet" you'll be missing, it's the carbs. You may experience headaches, shakes, sweats and irritability. You're best bet is to stay away from all processed foods and starches (carb foods) during that time to totally shake the carb addiction. Give it about 4 to 5 days and then you'll feel great! Keep eating other foods like meats, eggs, plenty of veggies and cheeses. Your body can sustain itself for several days on that diet, then slowly, slowly start adding back the healthy carbs like whole grains, fruits, cooked dry beans & lentils.
    I'm diabetic and I went low carb cold turkey for 3 weeks before adding a few back to my diet. After the initial first few days I felt better than I've felt in years!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• yes, and if it is dramatic it can hit you hard like the flu. take it slow!
    suekeem

Answer by suekeem at 11:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2009