What is Modesty?

What does modesty mean to you? Are you a modest person? how is it the way you dress or the way you act? What are modest clothes.? how do you show a modest attitude?

kirstina

Asked by kirstina at 8:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've always dressed modistly i think. I was never comfortable with my body and thats the reason why. I've never been one to talk freely about sex or anything like that, people will comment on if Im a virgin or not because of my lack of sexual talk... LOL im like im married and pregnant! I was raised really poor, so I spend money as lightly as possible, If I can find the same thing for less I'll get it over the name brand pricey version. I dont want to be poor I want to have money just in case. It works for us. we always have money but we get what we need too.
    Anonymous

• To me, it just means dressing without showing a lot of stuff LOL.

I was raised to never show too much leg let alone bum area and to not show much, if any, cleavage.

So thats in my mindset LOL. I do show some cleavage though.

I just think there is a time and place for everything and walking around with a thong showing or shorts so short the inner pocket lining shows falls into the IMMODEST category.

I never think of modest in any way other than with clothing tho so Im not sure I could truly describe it in any other context LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i dont wear short skirts or shorts. i have never worn a bikini or a mid drift shirt. i think thats fairly modest
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Modesty also deals with how we speak. I don't tell "off color" jokes, I don't discuss my bedroom activities with others, I don't cuss, or make a concerted effort not too. Modesty is dressing and acting like a lady.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• modesty is not acting like a teenager......lol.

but in no means do i think being modest is an excuse for people to be snobbish....uptight..anal...."omg she is showing cleavage!" so what? omg she told a joke about catholics..so what...

some ppl take it too far and are boring, uptight people.

just respect others. you want to tell a catholic joke...dont do it around a catholic family who is super defensive....bad mojo lol. you want to wear some stiletto heels and fishnets..do it at the club with your SO, not the grocery store
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Modesty is determined by the time and culture in which an individual lives. In ancient times, it may have been leaving your hair uncovered. In more recent history, it may have been exposing your decolletage or elbows. Currently, I suspect that it's anything just short of porn (I'm being half-sarcastic).

We can apply the Biblical principle of modesty in our current times and cultures by not being so deveantly unmodest from society's standards in a way that causes other people to think bad thoughts or add a stumbling block to their walk with God (or on their road to God). We can go the extra mile to be even more modest than society's standards to help place importance on qualities other than outward appearance.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• modesty to me is not to entice men by what you wear. i read that i should wear high tops cause of my small breast which i have always done cause they do look better that way. i don't have my shorts being eaten by my butt. i wear my dresses to my knees and i always have some type of sleeve. i like the way i dress i think i look confident and classy. i think showing lumps of fat is gross or showing off stretch marks on a belly etc are total turn off. i like to leave a little to the imagination for my husband cause he sees me naked enough anway. this way he has to think harder when i'm fully dressed.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• my friends tell me modesty is everything im not..lol.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Yes I am modest.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think being modest is not dressing in a way that shows all your stuff off. Yes, I do think I am modest. I may wear shorts and pants, but I don't wear them really short.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009