When is it okay to start my son on solid foods?

Each feeding we give him anywhere between 6-8 oz but lately he is having trouble making it to 3 hours unless he is asleep. what do you think? Our doc said we really shouldnt do it until he is 6 months. He will be 4 months on july 27th.

angelkcm2

Asked by angelkcm2 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4-6 months is the recommendation for a fomrula baby. But feeding should be done when hungry, not by the clock.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i started both mine at 3 months. i mixed the cereal with formula, really runny and they loved it. some kids cant handle it, till 6 months but mine did.just dont put it in a bottle and be prepared for some moms to bash you. good luck.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I never listen to what the Dr. said feed the baby every so many hours, I couldn't stand listening to my baby cry for another hour knowing he is still hungry, I fed my babies when they were hungry and told the Dr. what he wanted to hear, and It's ok to mix baby cereal with there formula and I also cook cream of wheat with milk I boiled the milk first and that kept him sleeping all night, I just slit the hole in the bottle a little so the cream of wheat would go through and he did just fine, but with both cereal and cream wheat you have to make it really runny

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• my son is 3 months old and doc just started him on cereal. but even with solids, continue the formula until, and also use it to mix the cereal. I would wait til 4 month mark to do veggies, one per week, and then to fruits, again 1 new one per week. go slow because if your child has a reaction, you need to pinpoint which one it was.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My oldest couldn't handle cereal till almost 7 months, we had tried at 5 months and she ate it fine and seemed to enjoy it. But when I went to nurse her later she screamed. The doc said that the food was sitting like a rock in her belly making it difficult to eat for almost 5 hours, (at this age she was nursing ever other hour)
    My second didn't really like any solids until, about 8 months. They had imature digestive systems. So Be caustious, but try it. If there is any diffuculty stop and go back.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My pediatrician gave the ok at 4 months so I started w/the rice cereal (from a spoon) and just tried every couple days. And my daughter wasn't really eating much of it---it's more the experience in the beginning at first---so I would just let her get used to the feeling of the spoon & the new substance in her mouth. About 2 weeks ago I really got her on more of a routine with eating the cereal in the morning---did that a week straight & then introduced carrots at night. She loves the carrots! She's been eating that for over a week now in the evenings & then we're going to try green beans. (she's 6 months now) Everyone has different opinions on when to start solids & also whether to put the cereal in the bottle or not. I did not put it in the bottle but know a lot of people who did and their kids turned out fine. I think it's definitely a personal decision and just do what you think works best for your baby. Good luck!
    Redgyrl

Answer by Redgyrl at 9:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• He's probably having a growth spurt. You're better off just feeding him the formula a little more often. Some babies can handle solids by 4 months, but many can't. Why risk the tummyaches when you can just give him a bottle a little more often? And baby cereal has no real food value. It's super processed, super refined grains with fake vitamins and minerals added to it. You're better off waiting until 6 months and then starting with fruits and veggies, IMO.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 10:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Baby rice cereal is not the best start however at 6 months of age babies iron stores start to lower and the cereal assists this. So not all useless. Start when baby is ready. All you can do it try and if he gobbles it all up then he is hungry. Formula is most important for first 12 months though. My DD started on rice cereal at 4 months and then fruit and veg at 5 months. She was not interested in milk and hungry!

Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for great information and advice
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2009