Would you have a meet the baby party......

I have been thinking that after my baby is born that I might want to have a meet the baby party or something like that. This is my second and I dont need any gifts so I dont care about that but I also dont want people coming and going constantly the first few weeks so what does everyone think of me doing something like an open house one day or a meet the baby party. I was thinking I could set a time frame and have finger foods and drinks out and let people come and go as they please and that way everyone could meet the new baby? What do you think, good idea or no?

Abbysmommy321

Asked by Abbysmommy321 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its a little tacky
    Anonymous

• we had a meet the baby BBQ for #2. all the family and everyone came, it was great. much easier than the constant coming and going and having to make time for so and so...and having to be ready for guests at a moments notice (and new moms know thats not an easy task)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Thats kind of what I was thinking, I just remember all the people coming and going when my first was born and thought something like an open house or anything where every one came at once would be easier.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think its a great Idea- people can come, see the new baby, celebrate the baby's life, give gifts is they so choose but note on the invite No gifts! I think people that DON'T do this are tacky personally- People can ask for baby showers and gifts, but when the baby is born there too "busy" or "tired" to let them come over to see the baby the blessed with gifts at the baby shower-

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 8:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think as long as you put "no gifts" we just want to introduce our new baby, or something like that on the invitation it's okay. Otherwise it's like giving a baby shower for yourself. And to be honest, I would go, and I would still take a gift....but I wouldn't feel like you were giving the party just to get gifts.

I know what you mean about having people in and out for days or weeks after the baby's born, a group visit would be easier.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think it is cool. I hated the parade of family that came through my house when each of the kids was born. I would make it even easier by having it at a park and making it a pot luck. Then there is no prep and no cleanup.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think it's a great idea! We had a Meet the baby party with one of my grandkids. We had it after the baby was about 5-6 weeks old , so mommy was feeling back to normal. We had a great time!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• It's not tacky at all. I say go for it when you feel it's the right time.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• we did that with our first son and I enjoyed it
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My friend is having a "Sip & See". It will be informal...no gifts...just people coming over to have small snacks and wine, while getting to meet the new baby. It's perfect for her and her family but it's not really my style.
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 9:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009