humor it or no?

so we just moved, and right before we moved my dd met a little girl we'll call her ann (just in case), anyways, now all of a sudden she has a little friend named ann (an invisible friend i guess, i mean she talks to her, wants me to paint her friends nails too, make her friend a plate etc...), so do i go along with it or just ignore it? like tonight, i just made the same amount of food i would normally make for my daughter and put it on two plates and they "shared" (victoria ate ann's when she was done with hers). so any ideas or tips on how to deal with it? she's already telling me ann needs a sleeping bag so she can sleep in her room w/her...

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 8:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is great for kids to have an imaginary friend. My oldest had one named Charlie for a LONG time. I think how you handled dinner was great. I would humor her and play along.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• spooky!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think it's great that your daughter has such a vivid imagination. You should humor it! Play along!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• imaginary friends help when kids go through something stressful (like a move) When she no longer needs the imaginary Ann then she'll get rid of her.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I say humor her, it's great that she is using her imagination.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• ok thats what i thought too, just wanted some other opinions, its already kinda annoying, i've had to pass out empty sippy cups and imaginary stuffed elmos so ann can have an elmo too
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I should add that we didn't let it go overboard. When I was running late and trying to get ds strapped into his carseat so we could leave, and he would say "what about charlie, he needs his seatbelt too", I would tell him since charlie was his guest he needed to help him, because I didn't have the time too.
    I will also say that it is great for the imagination. My ds is the most creative kid I have ever met.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• oh yeah i've already had to put a stop to it b/c she was getting into bed and told me that ann needed a bath too (she and her brother had already had hers) i just told her, "oh you didn't see her when you took yours? b/c i gave her a bath then too" and left it at that.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Just go along with it. There is nothing wrong with a child having an invisible friend.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009