How can I potty train my 3 1/2 year old boy

kimberlyann922

Asked by kimberlyann922 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With my son, I put him in underwear one day and put him on the potty every half hour or so. Thankfully it was summer time, so we were outside all day. Once he wet him self a few times he threw a fit and got it pretty quickly. He was about the same age. Pooping on the potty was another story tho.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• It's easy...get rid of all pull-up and diapers. Tell him that you are giving them to babies. He's not a baby so he doesn't need them anymore.Take him to the store to pick out underwear. Put him in his underwear and give him plenty to drink. Take him to the potty often. Give him a small reward if he sits on the potty. Give him a BIG reward if he pees or poops in the potty. You may have to clear your schedule and stay home for the first 3 days. When he wets or poops himself, clean it up and put new underwear on him. DO NOT allow him to run naked...wet clothes are uncomfortable therefore help the process. When he wets the bed at night, clean it up...he'll learn....you just have to be ready to do the work.
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 10:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Give him time.. seriously.. The more you push, the worse it will be for you. No diapers or pull ups they actually set the child back. Sure, you may have a few messes to clean up but eventually he will get it. My son was peeing completely in the potty within 2 days of me just putting underwear on him. the pooping took a little longer but I noticed the more I pushed, the less he was willing to do it finally one day I just said forget it he will do it when he's ready and left him alone not even a week later he was fully potty trained. This was alittle bit before his 4th birthday.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• We potty trained our son at 2 years old and had him pretty much potty trained by one month. I gave him plenty to drink, sometimes I would run the water in the sink and that would help, but I took him like every thirty minutes until I figured out when he would normally go to the potty. He just turned 4 and is completely potty trained even at night. We used underwear with him also. He didn't like being wet either. It was Summer time when we started also and if we were home by ourselves sometimes he would go behind a tree and it made it fun for him. If he went to the potty we gave him awards also, and eventually he would go without getting an award. You do have to make sure that you are consistant with it. Don't start and then stop b/c that confuses them. Hope any of this helps.
    Reeree064

Answer by Reeree064 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i couldnt get my daughter potty trained until about a month after she turned 3, i tried everything the timer going every half hour buying pretty panties and she made it a game i have 3 children and have found that they arent going to potty train until they are ready to no matter how bad we want them to, finally i quit trying so hard and would give her the option and ask her every morning when she woke up if she wanted to wear panties and if she said no i left it alone, and one morning we got out of bed and i was making breakfast and asked her if she wanted to take her diaper off and put on panties and she said mommy i already did, she had thrown her diaper in the trash and put panties on and has not worn a diaper since, no accidents either. when your child feels comfortable with the potty he will use it
    shoefrenzy

Answer by shoefrenzy at 2:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009