What is considered a fever in a 4 mo old?

My four month old has been cranky today, drooling, and wants to be held a lot, not napping either. I took her temp after I'd given her tylenol this afternoon and her temp after tylenol, ( about two hours later), was 99.4, so I am sure she is not feeling well, maybe even teething. Tried cool washcloths and teething rings, sometimes she will chew on those, sometimes not, otherwise likes my clean fingers. She does not like pacifiers. Any ideas or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think its a fever at 100.4, i can't be sure but my daughter had a fever of 100.4 ( with other symptoms as well) but she was only 2 months. They admitted her to the hospital...but it was more than just a fever..not trying to scare you. If its just a fever monitor her closely and call the doctor in the morning to see what they recommend. Hope little one feels better soon... :)

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• first of all where did u take her temp. her butt or armpit?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Temp was taken rectally
    manda13

Answer by manda13 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• 99.4 is not a fever if you tool it rectaly. now 99.4 in the armpit is abpit 101 rectally and that is a fever. 100.4 is consider a fever for babies between 0-3 m,ts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Sounds like teething if it was my daugther. Push on some of the front gums if you get a reaction, then you know it is. Mine likes the viberating teethers, I find them in the ilse hanging things. And mental I give her giant spoons. Good luck.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• k yeah thast the normal body temp there is no such thing as a slight fever is she gets to 101 rectally then she has a fever. rectal temp can read like 100.6 but since your baby is 4 mts is not consider a fever. now if she was a newborn, then yeah 100.4 would be fever and 99.4 would be normal body temp.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• That is a normal rectal temp... not a fever at all. A rectal temp should be 98-99.9 and a fever would be over 100.5 but only low grade and nothing to worry about.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2009