Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

18 year old son refuses to pay for car accident, Help???

my son had a car accident with my car, he was at fault, he was on his cell phone, we had a verbal agreement, any accident HE WOULD need to pay the $500.00 deductible.Since then his grandparents ( I am divorced) bought him a brand new truck, I have taken him off of my insurance, his wealth grandparents paid for his new truck as well as his insurance. I have taken away his driving privileges, he now went to live with his dad who doesn't support my decision to take his driving away or have him pay the deductible. My son has known for months the car needs to be fixed, and hasn't offered any money. Now my car needs to be inspected, and will fail the inspection, because of the repairs needed from the car accident. My only choice now is to take my son to small claims court and sue him for the deductible, and court costs. My ex thinks I am ruining his life by taking him to court. My son has repeatedly plays games

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (15)
  • Umm I think you do need to take him to court. He grandparents and father are teaching him not to man up for his responsibilities and are not teaching him to be an adult. They are spoiling him and condoning his irresponsible behavior. He is not a child anymore. He will continue to do these type of things until he is held accountable for them.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • Take him to court, he needs to learn the lesson.

    Answer by Nathskitten at 8:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • no offense but you should have gotten insurance with no deductible. That was you not being a good consumer and protecting yourself. Sue him if you think you can win but i think you will lose in court plus you will be out the court costs. The deductible is your responsibility and the court will remind you of that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • i'd take him to court over it. he needs to learn to be responsible. as far as having insurance w/no deductible, honestly my view on that is, i've gotten into 1 accident where i had to cover a deductible (others where people hitting me and i didn't have to pay a penny) in 11 years of driving, so why should i pay extra money each month just to have that option when it isn't one that will likely be needed?

    Answer by vabchmommy at 8:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • UMM MOST people get insurance with a deductible because their insurance is cheaper. WTH does that have to do with being a good consumer. It's called paying for what you can. She didn't cause the accident, her son did and should pay.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • Take him to court. That's just BS that his dad is not supporting you it's clearly his fault and he needs to take responsibility for his actions, good luck


    Answer by looovemybabies at 8:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • hes a grown man take him to court. i would.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • Threaten to take him to court, tell him that you will accept 100 every paycheck or once a month if he doesnt want to go to court and always always always family or not sign a contract.

    Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • Take him to court-he needs to learn to man up and take care of his mistakes.
    Your husbands family is being stupid, and only doing this because of the divorce, they are trying to take your son away from you.
    Truth be told, this will probably cause problems for your son and you for a long time, but one day he will grow up and see what he did wrong, unless you don't force him to grow up, and he will always walk all over you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • Take tis as a loss. Make sure it doesn't happen again.As for your son he will eventually learn his lesson. Hopefully u learned yours.

    Answer by dbrooks91 at 4:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.