How do you get rid of lice??

My younger sister has LONG, THICK, DARK hair, and tons of it. And she now has come down with lice (screw the neighbors, eh?) for like, the 3rd time this year. We have tried vinegar, hair dye, and lice shampoo, and nothing seems to be working. Short of getting her hair chopped off (its really gorgeous, actually) what else can we do? Natural remedies are awesome, but storebought or medications are also definitely appreciated and most likely used as well!! Help!!

kadens_momma_15

Asked by kadens_momma_15 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Health

• there are heaps of shampoos you can get at your local drug store/ chemist. or u could go to your doctor
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would take her to the doctor and get a prescription for it. I'm also gonna have to so there will be a great chance of her getting it again, if you do not cut her hair. You also need to clean the brushes she uses, her bed sheet, blankets and pillow cases. Clean anywhere she has been pretty much. They do have lice spray for your household things such as couches, chairs and bed for keeping and killing lice that my have gotten on those things. Oh and don't forget the floors and dump the vacuum!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• we used a prescription lice shampoo treatment on my daughter's head, washed everything possible in the house & bought the bedding spray from walmart for the furniture & cars. after picking nits for a few hours we were ready to scream. i know you said you tried it but, i used vinegar & water rinse on my dd's head,left her head wet,wrapped it in a shower cap, had her sleep like that over night , the next morning i washed out her hair & she had NO NITS! :) i also heard mayo on the head over night works. good luck.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• This is what I did. I used the lice shampoo from the store, than after we washed it out I put mayo in teir hair and let it set for 3 hours with a shower cap! While the mayo was on their hair I stripped all beds and all clothing and washed them and then sprayed with the rid all over the house as well as Lysol all over the house. After you wash out her hair take her outside and comb through her hair piece by piece ( you may not get all the nits out with the comb so you are going to have to pull some of the nits out. Why I say outside is because you wont get any nits or live lice back into house and you can See much better outside. After all that make sure you give her a shower every night and comb through her hair with the lice comb for like 2 months. Also repeat the whole thing in 10 days ( lice shampoo, mayo, strip beds, spray everything down. I did this and finally got rid of it with 4 girls an they havent had it in 3 yrs

Anonymous

• i did the mayo thing and also after i rinsed that out poured vinegar in thier hair and let it set for 10 mins and them rinsed it out...and stripped everything and sprayed the house..never had a lice problem ever again!
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with Mayo, or olive oil. As a deterrent you can put a few drops of teatree oil in your shampoo. Here lice are epidemic, and we are over two years free thanks to tea tree. I use it in a water spray bottle for my furniture when my dd's friends come over. If they come with bugs, they need to leave with them too.
    anziomom

Answer by anziomom at 11:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I've herd that using vinegar works REALLY well. My dad used it on us once when we were younger and they were gone that night. Another really really really good one is baby oil. However, the oil does not come out right away and is very effective. I would recommend baby oil just coat the hair in it let it sit a few seconds and get the finest comb you can find and brush brush brush. Good luck
    KeepMovingOn

Answer by KeepMovingOn at 12:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Forget all the shampoos and all the meds to take care of it.
    Mix a container of 1/2 shampoo and 1/2 kersine. I am serious. Leave it on the hair for 20 minutes and THEY ARE Falling off into the sink.
    Then rinse your hair completely out.
    shampoo it.
    Wash with listerine.
    Repeat it in 2 days.
    walkswithjesus

Answer by walkswithjesus at 1:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• In addition to the shampoos you need to wash all of her bedding and clothing. She could be picking the lice back up from her own bedding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• After you get rid of it, put tea tree oil in her hair... put a few drops in the shampoo. It's said to keep them away.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009