how long did it take your baby to get the hang of spoon feeding?

My son is 3 months and one week old and just started oatmeal to help with GERD and constipation issues. So far he cracks up and then pushes the food out with his tongue lol. How long did you work at it before your LO's got the hang of spoon feeding? thanks.

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 9:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will be fine, my doc recommended starting solids earlier because it helps with their pain as well as less spit-up. Just don't force him, the consistency of the cereal should still be runny, almost like the milk just a lil soupier.
    I was sent to a specialist a he also said that starting solids earlier helps, but the biggest help for me was infant gaviscon. I put a sachet in every bottle and her pain subsided immediatley and she no longer projectile vomited!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• u mean feeding themselves or just you feeding them with a spoon?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Not long maybe about 2 weeks! I had them same gerd problem with my daughter, she pushed the food around her mouth but then figured because I was making chewing faces at her that she should probably try and chew also.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• not bashing mama, but pushing the food out with his tongue means he probably isnt quite ready for solids. but anyways, my son is just now really getting the hang of it. he's 15 m/o. sometimes he feeds himself, sometimes he holds it in one hand and eats with his other hand, sometimes he throws it on the floor and eats with his hands, sometimes he wants us to feed him.
    Anonymous

• The tongue thrust reflex doesn't go away til closer to 6 months...some kids around 4 but usually closer to 6 months...because of this tongue reflex your baby could choke very easily.

Cereal can actually CAUSE constipation no matter what kind rice oatmeal etc...and GERD is generally better off when food leaves their belly more quickly, since his belly is still unable to fully digest solids its just sitting there causing more acid to build up...yeah he may spit up less but that doesn't mean less acid.

Is your child BF or FF, if FF have you tried soy or non-dairy based formula...not the lacto free kind but non-dairy? Often dairy causes worse GERD symptoms. Have you tried medications?

There are ways to thicken feeds like stuff called Thick-it which is safe to use to add to formula and not like cereals

Tongue thrust is a protective measure infants have because they are not ready for solids internally.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• it actually doesn't sound like he is ready so why don't you try putting it in his bottle. I did this for my DD with same problem and it totally cleared it up. Then at 4 months she was ready for a little bit of eating cereal and at 5 months is on homemade solids.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• for those who actually answered the question ty, he got it after day 3 lol. it tickles his lips when i put the spoon in so he cracks up and then it comes out. He still pushes some out as he is still mastering the skill but today is day 3 and he did great. To the others, not that you meant to bash i understand but do you think I would have tried this without talking to his team of specialists first and went on their advice? This is an issue(the gerd) he has battled since 2 weeks so basically there was no info shared here that I didnt know or havent researched extensively.As for "pushing out" meaning they arent ready, thats not true for all babies. It is simply because they are not used to the sensation of the solid.When has anyone ever seen a baby the very FIRST time they ate solids just open up and know what to do with it? no one, all babies learn to master it, and def not the first time. But anyways he is doing great! ty
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009