how do I lose this "friend"?

There is a lady that I used to get together with so that our kids could play. At the time we had a lot in common. However, now we have very little in common and her son has bad behavior and says smartypants things to my boys. She brags constantly and incessantly about her kids and all their achievements and her recent excessive indulgences to them. We try not to over indulge our kids OR to make others want to throw up by bragging about them constantly. LOL Anyway, I really don't want to talk to her anymore. She calls, I don't answer. She KEEEEPS calling to the point of tracking MY HUSBAND down at his job. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but avoidance isn't working and is probably just rude. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you should answer the phone and just say you are busy or you can't get together and eventually she'll call someone else. I don't really have any friends anymore because I don't feel like have much in common with other moms...I'm not really an expert in this area hahaha.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Just tell her that you have a lot going on in your life right now and you are trying to focus on those things.

Or just plainly tell her that you no longer think that you have any common ground and you have decided to keep your distance for the time being,

Guess it depends on how forward you are and want to be.
    Anonymous

• Wow, you just described my relationship with my sister.

I am sorry, if you keep away long enough she should get the hint. If not, You could tell her the truth, that you don't particularly feel like seeing her and her bratty kids anymore.
    Anonymous

• I don't like loose ends, so I would confront her gently but HONESTLY. Maybe something like, "I feel like we're on different pages at this stage of life, and it's getting harder to get in sinc.. I want the best for you and your family, but I think we need space as friends. "

I did this to a cousin who treated me horribly out of her own insecurity.. and now we can hug aND CATCH UP GREAT AT BIG FAMILY EVENTS, THEN WE GO BACK TO OUR OWN LIVES.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• "I just don't think this friendship is working for me. We don't have as much in common as I had hoped but I appreciate getting to know you. I think we shouldn't pursue this relationship but I wish you well in life." (it's how I break up with guys. It sounds good for females as well!)

Answer by admckenzie at 10:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009