Healthy options for fresh veggies (for mom who can't go grocery shopping often)?

I don't live near a grocery store, so I can only go shopping 2 or 3 times per month. What are some healthy and tasty options for fresh fruits and veggies? I know about canned and frozen, but what kind of fruits and veggies still taste good even though they are canned or frozen?? My dd has had enough frozen peas and canned green beans!! She is 13 months old.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is a new item called Green Bags "as seen on t.v." cvs and walgreens, etc... has them and they really work. I go shopping twice a month and fruits and veggies for the most part do last in those bags. It's a hassle to rebag and dry the produce when u get home, but it's worth it.
    I4GodRU

Answer by I4GodRU at 12:06 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Check the use by dates on the fresh produce that you buy and get the best dates, this will help them last to cover more of the days until you can shop again. Carrots last a long time, Celery will last a long time if you wrap it in a paper towel and then put it in a plastic bag. Cabbage lasts. Lettuce will last pretty well with the paper towel method, too. I don't buy bagged prewashed lettuce- that stuff smells bad and doesn't last long. Buy fresh, wash it and spin it dry, then wrap in a paper towel and put it in a plastic bag. Cucumbers won't last much more than a week. Squash will hold up pretty well, always buy the freshest looking and refrigerate promptly. Broccoli doesn't seem to last a week, even with the paper towel method. Apples last well if refrigerated, and bananas even though ripe will keep a while in the refrigerator- still good even though skins are dark. (more)

Answer by Bmat at 9:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Melons keep well in the refrigerator. You should be able to make your fresh fruits and vegetables last until your next shopping trip, or close, anyway. The rest of your question was what canned and frozen tastes as well as fresh. Frozen broccoli is close to fresh cooked. Frozen corn. Frozen limas are good. I like canned fruit better than frozen.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Also many do not know that fresh fruit and veggies (at grocery stores) are not as beneficial as frozen or canned, as frozen and canned produce is packaged at the peak of freshness leaving more vitamins and such, opposed to store produce which has often been picked up to a week prior to purchase.
    Anonymous

• Frozen veggies is a good option. Some veggies, when bought fresh, can be frozen. For instance, I buy green, red, and yellow bell peppers one every 2 months, cut them into long, thin strips (if I want them cubed I can do it later) and put them in a really good freezer bag (Ziploc, doublesealed). I do that with onions (I keep them cubed), and zucchini. Other vegetables such as carrots, peas, squash, celery, green beans, corn, brussel sprouts, and greens (spinach, collard) have to be blanched first. Just cut them up to desired texture, and throw them in boiling water for 3-5 minutes, drain and put in bag, then freeze. It sounds like alot of work, but dont try to do all those veggies at once. It also makes it really easy and quick to cook, because you dont have to waste valuable prep time. And it's like bulk so it saves money too. No more wasted produce. By the way, all fruits, except bananas can be done that way also.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The instant a fruit or vegetable is picked, it begins to lose nutrients. Frozen vegetables actually retain nutrition much better than fresh, and are great for quick stirfries and punching up the nutrition of soups and sauces. Here is what I always have onhand:
    Frozen: blueberries, broccoli, cauliflower, assorted mixed veggies, edamame, banana chunks (freeze my own), peas and carrots, sauteed mushrooms and onions (make my own), mixed bell peppers
    Fresh: kiwi, lettuce, carrots, zucchini, onion, broccoli slaw, apples, oranges, grapefruit, avocado, sweet potatoes, jicama, sugar snaps

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• oh you CAn freeze bananas, other than for frozen chocolate bananas, lol, my bad. I thought they turned black after a while in the freezer.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2009