HOW CAN I GET MY 15 YR OLD TO HELP AROUND THE HOUSE AND NO GIVE ME THAT STINL LOOK

luvie4

Asked by luvie4 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You can't. All teenagers give you attitude when it comes to housework. Its programmed in their brains.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 9:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Make him cook his own meals? Don't do his laundry. When he needs clean clothes tell him..there's the washer...but, first try sitting his butt down and talking to him. Face to Face. no yelling Talk....if this doesn't work, then tell him he needs to go out and get a job and pay rent since you are doing maids work and charge him outrageous prices....I don't know . I'm just throwing out ideas. good luck
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 10:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Don't do anything for him. Don't cook, clean, do laundry, take anywhere. If he wants you to do something, charge him for each thing you do. Charge for gas and wear and tear on the car, for the cost of the food and preparing it. For the laundry soap, water and electricity. You can also take EVERYTHING away but his bed and have him earn it all back, and that includes clothes. You can set his clothes out each night or morning.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ignore the look. Ignore the attitude. Don't yell or act angry. Either the chores get done, or priviledges (cell phone, computer, TV, etc.) get taken away.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• How much stuff does he have and use every day that you have provided to him? cell phone? game systems? clothes? music systems? furniture in his room? Start taking that stuff away. Tell him that you have provided those things for him because you loved him and want him to enjoy life. The other side of that, however, is that in order to enjoy those things, someone had to work and pay for them. Tell him you now know that you have failed to correctly teach him that in order to have nice things, one must work for them. Then tell him that you feel you must correct that before you send him out into the world, and so you feel you simply must take those things back and keep them until such time that he has properly learned the lesson. Don't accuse him or yell at him. Put the responsibility squarely on yourself. This is something that I must do for you, not I am doing this to punish you or make you sorry that you don't help.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Can you talk to them on an adult level, let them know hey I need some help here I can not do it alone.

Just ignore the look or say I hope your face doesn't stay like that. And move on your businesss.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2009