How can i get them to stop being so lazy!?

My family treats me like I am their slave! They throw their trash on the floor and leave their dishes all over the house, expecting me to pick it up! if i let it set, it doesn't ever get picked up even when i tell them to. my husband and two older kids nearly 6, and nearly 5 are driving me crazy with how disrespectful and lazy they are! What could i possibly do to get them to pick up after themselves!? My husband has been doing this for years, and it doesn't matter how many ways or times i ask him to stop, he stil hasnt. Any ideas? not sure which category this fits in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not to sound too rude but grow a backbone and tell your husband to stop treating you like crap and he's gotta get a handle on his kids.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• i have a backbone, but i'm not going to leave my husband over some dishes. i've told him, i've yelled, i've asked nicely, nothing works
    Anonymous

• My husband can slack sometimes on putting his stuff away.. So, I stop doing the extras.. I won't pre-make his coffee the night before, Dinners get simpler.. I'll even wad up clothes and shove them back in his drawer if he continues to lay them over the chair in the bedroom. It definitly wakes him up. It like that with anybody, if you give an inch, they will squeeze out a foot or a mile.... you just have to real them back in every once in a while!!
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Go on strike. Don't pick it up if you didn't use it, wash only clothes that are in the hamper, etc.....

It might be pretty disgusting for awhile but when they don't have anything to eat on or wear---they'll learn.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The dishes aren't the issue...it's his obvious lack of respect for you. Your family treats you like a slave because you act like one. Do like dle4125 said...your house will ook gross for a while, but they'll get the message.

My ex still lives with his mom, and she's HIS personal slave. She never taught him how to do things for himself, so she winds up doing it ALL- cooking, cleaning, laundry, bill paying, shopping. Your kids are going to wind up the same way if you don't put a stop to their behavior NOW. Imagine a 30 year old man who has never used a toilet brush or a vacuum in his life!! THAT'S my ex!!!
    Anonymous

• STOP doing anything for them, especially your husband. This is deeper than you being his slave, you are being disrespected and your kids are learning that it is an acceptable behavior. You need to stop being the slave and do nothing until they start respecting you. Your house may be nasty for a while, but they will get the hint when they have no food, clean clothes or clean dishes and you do. Tough love is needed here.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• This will annoy me to no end too! My husband almost the same way...he'll wait until I ask him the second or third time to do anything. Just don't do it for awhile and see how he reacts. I've stopped cleaning up some of my boys' mess and my husband helped a little, after seeing me annoyed and tired.
    wsgirl84

Answer by wsgirl84 at 4:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• talk straight up to your dh about it after the kids are in bed.

build an incentive program for the kids to do some chores.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Marriage is supposed to be an equal partnership, you are being treated like a maid and nanny and of course your kids are getting this message loud and clear. You and your husband need serious couples' counseling; I would never live like this.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:50 AM on Jul. 23, 2009